No more selling on eBay.

Surely that's what gumtree is - everything is done by collection, cash in hand so no quibble after the fact, no fees.
Indeed, more or less like eBay when they started...which is probably why eBay bought Gumtree (so they could maintain their hold on e-private sales whilst transitioning eBay itself towards a retail-biased Amazon-bis model).

Just make sure you take lots of photos of the item, be honest about condition, set it to UK buyers, PayPal only, no negative feedback bidders and always use a recorded postage service. Take pics of the item during and after packing - it takes 2 seconds extra.
With reference to my earlier post, as a private (non-business) seller:

Per CPC464 above:

* set your auction preferences in your control panel (no bidders with zero or negative feedback, no bidders with retracted bids, <etc.>)

* take lot of photos,

* be honest about condition and any blemishes however minor,

* set it to UK buyers only (OPT OUT of global shipping program, otherwise the auction will default to everywhere/global),

Unlike CPC464 above:

* Collection only ('buyer collects' in parameters)

* add "happy for buyer to arrange their own courier (easy these days with parcelmonkey, parcel2go <etc>)" in the narrative (so you do not carry any responsibility by 'system default', because according to eBay's system, your auction is 'collection only')

* add "cash on collection or alternative payment in advance before collection only, any Paypal payment will be refused and refunded" in the narrative (buyer can pay by cash if local or, if remote, by cash, money order or cheque sent recorded delivery, or PayPalGift (to get out of buyer protection))

Of course, the above severely restricts your buying audience on eBay...but it's still going to be significantly wider than Sheffield Forum Classifieds, and wider than Gumtree Sheffield.

.... no negative feedback bidders .....

Can sellers leave negative feedback again for buyers now?

I agree with L00b above.

I restrict any sales I do make to cash collection only now.

It's a shame because it means most lower value items I have, that there are buyers for, just go into a box in the attic. It's just not worth selling most items now.

Even though I stress cash collection only, it's still amazing how many make that Paypal payment and then want to collect, like I was born yesterday.

Three times in the past week (since I did a few old games sales) I've had people pull out because 'their child bid on the item'.

I've told all three of them they need to pay up. Shouldn't let their kids on their Ebay accounts.

Just had an email from eBay.

YOU'VE BEEN ENROLLED INTO THE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME

We're pleased to let you know that you're now enrolled in the Global Shipping Programme. It's an easy way to reach millions more buyers with minimal changes to your current processes. The Programme is for sellers who don't currently offer international postage on listings.

Key points for sellers

Reach more buyers outside of the UK.

International buyers automatically see a postage cost to their country on your listings.

Simply post the item to the UK address we provide and we'll take care of the rest.

I think I'll be opting out of the Global Shipping Programme.

I agree with L00b above.

I restrict any sales I do make to cash collection only now.

It's a shame because it means most lower value items I have, that there are buyers for, just go into a box in the attic. It's just not worth selling most items now.

Even though I stress cash collection only, it's still amazing how many make that Paypal payment and then want to collect, like I was born yesterday.

But I thought you weren't allowed cash transactions?

Also, why isn't it worth it for lower value items, and what have you got against PayPal as it's secure?