Heeley Memories

hiya'

my wife and me bought our first house on gleadless rd opposite grattages bookmaker's shop, with taggy's shop higher up, we were thought to be buying a house when in fact there were two ours at 49 and 51, after we moved in ernest battle (taggy) told me he once owned the two houses, he paid £`20. for them at auction and sold them for£ 300. the one we bought them from sold them for £350. when we moved under compulsory purchase we got £116. after 5 years.

one family who lived just below us were called wild sons name was barry, also there was barry fox he lied on richards rd ,when i worked with them they would talk about the lion when they had the club acts on, was the m c claud powell a singer.

My late mother loved Claude Powell, she had a signed album of his. She loved "goodnight Irene" as her name was Irene.

Hi keithgreen50. I was in your class for a few years. A clue first. Dave D ? Can you get me yet.

hiya'

my wife and me bought our first house on gleadless rd opposite grattages bookmaker's shop, with taggy's shop higher up, we were thought to be buying a house when in fact there were two ours at 49 and 51, after we moved in ernest battle (taggy) told me he once owned the two houses, he paid £`20. for them at auction and sold them for£ 300. the one we bought them from sold them for £350. when we moved under compulsory purchase we got £116. after 5 years.

one family who lived just below us were called wild sons name was barry, also there was barry fox he lied on richards rd ,when i worked with them they would talk about the lion when they had the club acts on, was the m c claude powell a singer.

I remember a Gloria Wild from that area (1954/57)

I remember a Gloria Wild from that area (1954/57)

hiya, I only knew barry he would have been 15/16 in 54/56, but I think he had a sister they lived at 45 gleadless rd, he also had an elder brother I saw him visit, 45 was next to the gennal, just below lived mrs sayles with her two sons tommy, and dennis.

Edited by willybite

Hi Willy.

Was that gennal the Scellys walk one ?

I remember once calling in pub down there that was the weirdest pub I've ever been in.

Be about late fifties / early sixty's and it was just a small terraced house front room with a bar one table and a couple of chairs. The lady went into the kitchen to pull a pint from a barrel on the kitchen table.

Was that the Moor view before it was extended ?

Hi Willy.

I remember once calling in pub down there that was the weirdest pub I've ever been in.

Be about late fifties / early sixty's and it was just a small terraced house front room with a bar one table and a couple of chairs. The lady went into the kitchen to pull a pint from a barrel on the kitchen table.

hiya j.s

yes it was,and no it wasn't if you know what i mean, at the time (19662) it was called the sheaf view, only went in once there was a what we would call a best room and a dram shop on the corner, we went in the big room at the front, when we got in we had to ask where the bar was to get served, a kind soul told us to go to the door in the corner when we did we found we were behind the bar in the dram shop.(dramma)

after that we, my brother in law and me started going in the oak in oak st, only for a game of darts, i remember one time going in the oak we asked for two pints we were told to wait, when we got our two pints, we were told they had run out of beer and had run up to boilers, or shakie with a big enamel jug.

Edited by willybite

Happy days Willy, happy days....:hihi:

I remember one time in about 56 going down that stretch of Gleedless road all swish in a brand new black and white plaid cowboy shirts, (the best Bunny's could sell,) new black trousers 16" bottoms and a pair of black leather slip on shoes with silver chains across the front, I felt like the bees knees.

I was on my way to the Heeley Colly and I was about half way down that very steep bit of Gleadless road strutting me stuff when for some unknown reason my right shoe swung across the front of my left and I went base over apex..

The road at that point must be almost vertical because it seemed like a hell of a long way down before I hit the ground, I ripped the shoe practically in half, took both knees out of the trousers and most of the buttons off the shirt, grazed my hands and scrapped my nose.

It was a very different young fellow me lad that limped back up Gleadless rd to the one who'd just strutted down it I can tell you..

Edited by grinder

Happy days Willy, happy days....:hihi:

I remember one time in about 56 going down that stretch of Gleedless road all swish in a brand new black and white plaid cowboy shirts, (the best Bunny's could sell,) new black trousers 16" bottoms and a pair of black leather slip on shoes with silver chains across the front, I felt like the bees knees.

I was on my way to the Heeley Colly and I was about half way down that very steep bit of Gleadless road strutting me stuff when for some unknown reason my right shoe swung across the front of my left and I went base over apex..

The road at that point must be almost vertical because it seemed like a hell of a long way down before I hit the ground, I ripped the shoe practically in half, took both knees out of the trousers and most of the buttons off the shirt, grazed my hands and scrapped my nose.

It was a very different young fellow me lad that limped back up Gleadless rd to the one who'd just strutted down it I can tell you..

hiya grinder j.

what was the passage called that went by the river sheaf just below the pub and you came out on geurnsey rd away.

hiya grinder j.

what was the passage called that went by the river sheaf just below the pub and you came out on geurnsey rd away.

We always knew it as Skeltons Walk, whether that is its' actual name I don't know but, as Skeltons was the name of the works down there that's where it probably got its' name.

I think it was also known as Sheaf Bank but, again, that was the name of the works down there.

I think it actually came out on Sark Road but, again, I could be wrong, anyway, it was scary down there!

Regards,

Duffems

Edited by DUFFEMS

hiya grinder j.

I think its propper name is Cuttlers walk also known as Skellys bridge.

Removed .................

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 18:28 ----------

I think its propper name is Cuttlers walk also known as Skellys bridge.

No need to think Shabbas, you are correct.

Edited by me-and-pippo
Already answered

We always knew it as Skeltons Walk, whether that is its' actual name I don't know but, as Skeltons was the name of the works down there that's where it probably got its' name.

I think it was also known as Sheaf Bank but, again, that was the name of the works down there.

I think it actually came out on Sark Road but, again, I could be wrong, anyway, it was scary down there!

Regards,

Duffems

hiya duffems, it could very wll have been sark rd i went down it very few times, glad you mentiond skeltons, i'd been trying to remember its name,

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 20:44 ----------

Hi Willy.

just thinking the worst pint i ever had was in the sheaf at the top of bramall lane we asked for 2 pints and as quick as before we said pints they were on the bar i was shocking that was 1963/4.