Has anyone used a dog stroller

Has anyone used a dog stroller. My dog started having seizures at Christmas and doesn't seem to want to go out now. That's fine at home,but we are going on holiday in September and taking her with us. I was considering a stroller but am not sure she would stay in it.

I think they are a good idea.my last dog had a heart complaint so could not walk far,he missed out on outings sometimes ,or we just did not go..

I did consider getting one .

I can understand they probably do look strange to people, but it's a shame she should miss out for that reason. The place we are going to has long walks and I really want her to go, I'm just not sure she would stay in it, I just don't want to go to the expense of it if not. But I suppose there's only one way to find out

Try and buy a used one,If you feel strange with it stick a message on it saying I am ill not lazy...But then again its nobody elses business but yours.

My parents have one and used it @ Skeg Vegas when one of their dogs became unable to walk far.

Amazingly SkegVegas has as many dog strollers as mobility scooters - especially round the markets.

I do have to admit i did and still do take the Michael incessantly. But then again if one of mine needs that type of help it will need to be a wheelbarrow.

What about a little red pull along cart, kinda like a garden cart??

Kinda like this:

http://www.tobywagons.com/image/cache/data/www.tobywagons.com-classic-pull-along-red-wagon-cart-trolley-radio-flyer-3-400x210.jpg

I think you'd look much less of a crazy person if you had the dog sat in that, rather than a doggie pushchair.

I suppose that it might seem strange to some people but it does mean that a family gets to spend some good quality time with their dog which may be the last holiday together so really does it matter how it looks? :(

My reservation would be that the stress of traveling etc might be a lot for the dog to cope with and increase the seizures, if you decided that you might need an alternative there are professional people that look after dogs in their own home and are really good...just an idea if you felt that you might need the help.

My parents have one and used it @ Skeg Vegas when one of their dogs became unable to walk far.

Amazingly SkegVegas has as many dog strollers as mobility scooters - especially round the markets.

I do have to admit i did and still do take the Michael incessantly. But then again if one of mine needs that type of help it will need to be a wheelbarrow.

It was a friend who lives there that actually told me about them

---------- Post added 14-07-2014 at 16:29 ----------

The seizures are manageable and not often thankfully. But she does have seperation anxiety which is why I won't leave her. She's been in kennels as an unwanted pet. 4 times, and had several owners. I took her from being used for begging on the street and think she deserves the best in her last year's, so I want her to go with us. Now leaving the kids at home that's a different matter :D

I can understand why with infirm dogs who are too big to carry (I'd have no chance with a 40kg German Shepherd) there is a need for a buggy or a walker of some sort just to get them from A to B to enable them to accompany you wherever you go.

I worry about the number of people who are judgemental or who think that it's an alternative to some sort of handbag for your dog, but if the dog needs your attention but can't walk (or walk far) then what alternative do you have?

I would imagine that they only tend to have a relatively short period of use with each dog so a second hand one shouldn't be too hard to come by.

What about a little red pull along cart, kinda like a garden cart??

Kinda like this:

http://www.tobywagons.com/image/cache/data/www.tobywagons.com-classic-pull-along-red-wagon-cart-trolley-radio-flyer-3-400x210.jpg

I think you'd look much less of a crazy person if you had the dog sat in that, rather than a doggie pushchair.

She would jump out of that cart geared but thanks. The stroller is only to get us to the beach and back which is a fair walk across an area that doesn't have car access.

My Aunty uses one of these for her dog. She's a Maltese and has deformed feet which means she can't walk far. She's used it from the dog being a puppy, she's 8 now so she's used to it. But if I was to try and put my dog in one, I think she'd hate it!

Best thing is to probably try and get a cheap second hand one just incase your dog doesn't like it. My Aunty also has a sort of doggy handbag for her dog too. The dog sits in the bag and it can be carried over the shoulder. (Obviously this is only suitable for small dogs!)

I don't blame you for not wanting to put your dog in boarding kennels. My dog is also a rescue and I know she will have hated living in a kennel, I will never, ever put her through that again.

The sell them on eBay .