Fight outside Browns Friday 26th 2330(ish)

Posts like this make me glad I'm no longer in the UK. It's nice being able to go for a drink in the city without seeing inebriated mindless thugs beating each other to a pulp

For the 5th or maybe 6th time, none of them appeared to have been drinking. They certainly weren't inebriated.

And it's the first fight I've seen in town for at least a year, probably longer. And I go out every other friday night.

You telling me business rates are higher on an out of town industrial unit? Dont believe you.

I have premises in the city centre and outside it, there is relatively little difference.

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 13:51 ----------

Such an old debate this.

Pubs/clubs have to do more to stop people getting beyond their reasonable limit. The Uni in Loughborough is experimenting with breathalysers, over ,7 promille and you don't get in. Not sure if it is the answer for Sheffield as there are so many establishments, but I do often wonder what the doormen are doing at some of the places in town.

I used to be a doorman at the bar with the highest beer-revenue per square meter in Europe and we would stop people that were visibly over the limit. We would also inform our colleagues at other bars of people that we had ejected due to loutish behaviour and they simply wouldn't get in anywhere after being ejected. (Although admittedly it was sometimes too busy to check properly). We also worked very closely with the police, having a police coordinator that listened in on the closed comms circuit we used.

I have seen some very poor practice at clubs in the city where people that were so out of control they could hardly stand up, were still ushered in - at that point you are asking for trouble as a club. Most clubs/pubs these days have a doorman, why not use them properly.

Excellent points. I have always felt that the doorman/door supervisor is a very undervalued resource.

For the 5th or maybe 6th time, none of them appeared to have been drinking. They certainly weren't inebriated.

And it's the first fight I've seen in town for at least a year, probably longer. And I go out every other friday night.

I agree that in general the city is a perfectly happy functioning place at night, however there are some places where the testosterone almost palpably flows through the air at certain hours, even if these particular lads might not have been inebriated, I would be very surprised if they hadn't had enough to drop their natural inhibitors.

I have seen guys knock down three ,2 liter beers (so about a pint) and lose the plot over nothing.

Excellent points. I have always felt that the doorman/door supervisor is a very undervalued resource.

One place that has it spot on is the Dev Cat in my opinion.

How do we know that the victim has not made a complaint and that it is at this very moment being investigated?

Maybe they were from different gangs and the victim will take his own retribution.

If he was seriously hurt and transported to hospital later on, the ambulance staff would have contacted police.

Maybe cyclone should contact the police to offer his services as a witness (but not in order to testify to the drunkenness of the assailants).

Maybe he was that drunk he never felt anything.

He might have.

As I've said, it was the statement from the officer that despite the evidence, without a victim or his complaint they would not be following it up that I found surprising.

The officer took my phone number, he can call me if he needs my evidence.

Perhaps you can experiment, get someone to punch you to the floor, then stamp on your head multiple times.

Try it at varying levels of drunkenness (but never so much that witnesses can tell you're drunk), and then report back on whether it hurts, or indeed injures you at all.