Really good pub food on the outskirts of Sheffield/in the countryside

We eat out a lot, but usually at one of the amazing selection of generally independent restaurants in Sheffield: Sakushi, Yama Sushi, Baan Thai, Zeugma, Amigos, Cafe Roma, Saigon 68, Three Corners of China e.t.c.

However, my grandparents are visiting in a few weeks and they will be requiring something a lot less adventurous. That got me thinking - I don't actually know many pubs in/near Sheffield that do really good pub food, not too pretentious, preferably in a semi-rural/decent location e.t.c., though I don't want to have to drive them too far out of Sheffield either.

When we want decent pub/modern European food, we usually go to the Milestone, but I'm after an alternative, or two. I'm talking the kind of place where you can sit down in a comfortable and spacious pub, perhaps with a good view, and eat a wholesome meal; they've got to serve sausage and mash and fish and chips, as my gran basically lives on these, with really exceptionally high quality sausages with plenty of herbs, and fish in beautifully light and crispy beer batter, and the plate that they are served on has to be hot to the touch. Oh and I don't really do 'chain' pubs if I can avoid it.

So, you see, I have a not unreasonable, but still slightly picky, set of demands. Does anyone know of any pub that they think is great, and that meets these criteria?

Looking forward to this thread developing into a lovely list of country pubs near Sheffield that we can try out over the next couple of years :)

---------- Post added 29-09-2014 at 14:43 ----------

P.S. Elmwood Farm is exactly the sort of place that we won't be visiting :)

Hi there,

I quite like The Strines Inn out past Bradfield.

I appreciate it may be a bit further than you wanted to travel, but I've always enjoyed the food there and it's location is lovely. :)

The Plough at Low Bradfield does a fantastic carvery on a Sunday and I think they have the sort of traditional dishes you're after on their standard menu too.

The Old Horns at High Bradfield, never had a bad meal there.

It`s The Cricket Inn, Totley. That is your answer.

The Devonshire Arms at Middle Handley

---------- Post added 29-09-2014 at 17:42 ----------

A little bit further The Cadeby Inn at Cadeby nr Sprotborough

---------- Post added 29-09-2014 at 17:43 ----------

And less I forget Mr Moran's new place in Bakewell Manners

Went to the devonshire arms at middle handley for Sunday lunch yesterday. It was good but really quiet.

If you want good view book a table at the inn at troway. The fish and chips are excellent and fairly sure you'll find a sausage if you really want one.

The star just gave a cracking write up of Riverside House Hotel at Ashford in the Water.

Not been myself however.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/features/food-review-riverside-house-hotel-1-6857865

http://www.riversidehousehotel.co.uk/

Nice drive out , you could take them to Chatsworth for a potter.

The Grouse Inn, Froggatt Edge is worth a visit.

Went to the devonshire arms at middle handley for Sunday lunch yesterday. It was good but really quiet.

If you want good view book a table at the inn at troway. The fish and chips are excellent and fairly sure you'll find a sausage if you really want one.

Doesn't look like they do them now but I remember having a lovely bowl of mini sausages a few years ago with a mustard dip of the nibbles menu

Samuel Fox in Bradwell. Bus 272 stops just outside too. I've been a few times and never had a bad meal.

Try Rowleys in Baslow. Food and service is good, its comfortable and Chatsworth nearby.