Finding out if car has logbook loan?

Hi I'm wanting to buy a car that has no logbook but the owner will give me £25pound for a new one but i'm unsure if to buy it as i cant find anyway of checking if it has a logbook loan? :confused:

does any one know how to find out if it has a loan on it?

Thank you

Dont buy it!!, if no logbook or ownership slip then alarm bells ring, its hard to tell if a car has no logbook loan on it im afraid!!

I wouldn't touch it. There are plenty of cars out there for sale, no need to risk it buying a suspect one.

jb

Dont buy it!!, if no logbook or ownership slip then alarm bells ring, its hard to tell if a car has no logbook loan on it im afraid!!

Agreed, walk away and find another car.

Okay i'll leave it, thanks everyone for your replies very helpful. :)

my partners daughter bought a car ,she taxed it got a new log book as a matter of course ,6 months later the bailiffs turned up and took the car,obviously she made enquiries and found that a log book loan was outstanding and the bailiffs were in ther right to take the car

There's an extensive thread on log book loans somewhere on here.

A HPI check would reveal if anyone had a financial interest in the vehicle but as already said, no log book = no proof of ownership.

Well looks like some of you could well have missed a bargain!!

there are many reasons for not having a log book and it wouldnt be a killer for me.Now if the person wanted to meet at a service station then that would ring alarm bells but ive read nothing on this thread to believe the seller is in anyway dodgy as yet.

what is the reason given for not having the V5?

If your worried about its history the hpi the vehicle.

Id get more info from who the seller is than the v5 and their reasons for not applying for another book.There are many indicators of a dodgy seller but not having a v5 isnt one high on my list.

If the vehicle is registered to the seller get him to call DVLA in front of you and with his permission im sure DVLA would confirm it.

if i was happy with the charactor of the seller and their story then id be happy with a reciept and a look at some id.

With a hpi showing clear,a reciept and confirmation of who the owner is,its very very unlikely that you would ever loose it.

the hpi report would show the chassis number and mileage to chck against the vehicle.

That done id turn to getting a bit of cash off.

Hunch is often the best tool though.

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 15:38 ----------

A HPI check would reveal if anyone had a financial interest in the vehicle but as already said, no log book = no proof of ownership.

Having a log book isnt proof of ownership either.

You're quite right but it at least gives a connection between the car and the address you're buying it from etc...

Well looks like some of you could well have missed a bargain!!

there are many reasons for not having a log book and it wouldnt be a killer for me.Now if the person wanted to meet at a service station then that would ring alarm bells but ive read nothing on this thread to believe the seller is in anyway dodgy as yet.

what is the reason given for not having the V5?

If your worried about its history the hpi the vehicle.

Id get more info from who the seller is than the v5 and their reasons for not applying for another book.There are many indicators of a dodgy seller but not having a v5 isnt one high on my list.

If the vehicle is registered to the seller get him to call DVLA in front of you and with his permission im sure DVLA would confirm it.

if i was happy with the charactor of the seller and their story then id be happy with a reciept and a look at some id.

With a hpi showing clear,a reciept and confirmation of who the owner is,its very very unlikely that you would ever loose it.

the hpi report would show the chassis number and mileage to chck against the vehicle.

That done id turn to getting a bit of cash off.

Hunch is often the best tool though.

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 15:38 ----------

You still havent asnwered the question about making sure there is no log book loan on the vehicle. I thought the last time it was raised it was decided there was no surefire way of finding this out and therefore you are at risk from any private sale. This is just as important if not more important than lack of a log book.