Are we a Christian country?

Cameron thinks so.

The British Humanist Association think not.

The Hindu Council UK can't get excited one way or the other.

What do you think? Should we define our national identity in terms of a religion that few of us care about, or are there better ways to build national cohesion?

I barely know a single Christian. The odd one or two that I do know aren't even practicing Christians, they just believe in a God and that Jesus was the son of God.

I'm sure this thread was done the other year

I'm sure that it was. I'm just jumping on the Cameron bandwagon. Our PM seems to think that it is important, so I stuck it out there for the SF faithful (or faithless:))

Or course, it is possible that Call-Me-Dave's motives were more about reclaiming middle England after that annoying Gay Marriage stuff:rolleyes:

I barely know a single Christian. The odd one or two that I do know aren't even practicing Christians, they just believe in a God and that Jesus was the son of God.

Do you have to attend church to be a Christian? As for being a 'practicing' Christian, how would people know if you didn't shout about it?

Personally, I think if you believe in God, and Jesus as the son of God, then you're a Christian.

Considering this country also has the peculiarity of having a branch of the Christian church named after it, (Church of England) I'd sort of assumed all people born here were born Church of England by default setting, unless you were actively born into another faith or wanted to change it.

I think that's why we're rather casual towards being C of E, - because we have to make very little effort to claim 'membership.' But even though I have never attended Church regularly, it was certainly an important part of my childhood, schooling, and belief system and I consider myself 'C of E.'

I think Cameron is right (and it's not often I agree with him,) in that we're a broadly Christian country.

The major Christian religious festivals get bank holidays pinned to them if that means anything. I'd sacrifice that for some bank holidays in June or July. It wouldn't stop me being the half assed sort of christian/agnostic fellow I am today any more than it stops Muslims Jews and Hindus doing their thang now.

The definition of "Christian" is the most important issue here.

Do we, as a country, follow the doctrines of (say) the Church of England? Could we each subscribe to its 39 Articles? ( http://anglicansonline.org/basics/thirty-nine_articles.html )

Do we obey the Ten Commandments? (I know I make graven images, for instance)

I believe that "Jesus" (as his name is rendered in Greek) lived and taught, and much of his reported teaching seems right to me. Whether he was "Son of God" depends on how you mean "Son of" and what you recognise as "God". "Christ" means "anointed one; he was anointed (feet anyway) by a sinful woman; does that count?

Many Christians have told me that this is not sufficient for me to be accepted as a "Christian".

Many of Britain's population do not "love their enemies". Many feel that the hungry should get off their backsides and feed themselves, and the naked should clothe themselves. Is this attitude that of followers of Jesus, even those who don't make him the "Christ" (anointed one), "Messiah" (hope of the Jews), "Son of God" (whatever that means)?

So can we claim to be a "Christian nation"?

A reason for prejudice against anyone = Religion

Anyone who thinks otherwise is having themselves on

Do you have to attend church to be a Christian?

No, I didn't claim you have to

As for being a 'practicing' Christian, how would people know if you didn't shout about it?

Because when you know someone you discuss things. It's something that comes up sooner or later with everyone I know, often simply in relation to Christian holidays (Christmas, Easter etc).

Sometimes I'll ask about a crucifix being worn or other such indications.

Personally, I think if you believe in God, and Jesus as the son of God, then you're a Christian.

Agreed

Considering this country also has the peculiarity of having a branch of the Christian church named after it, (Church of England) I'd sort of assumed all people born here were born Church of England by default setting, unless you were actively born into another faith or wanted to change it.
"Born into the Church of England by default"? How can you be born into it? Do beliefs (or absence of) not matter?

I think that's why we're rather casual towards being C of E, - because we have to make very little effort to claim 'membership.' But even though I have never attended Church regularly, it was certainly an important part of my childhood, schooling, and belief system and I consider myself 'C of E.'

I think Cameron is right (and it's not often I agree with him,) in that we're a broadly Christian country.

I don't agree. I know quite a few atheists who ignorantly tick C of E on the cencus for the reasons you gave above, I think this is what gives people the impression that we're still a "Christian country".

The only practicing Christians I know are immigrants from Africa and India, they where shocked when they first came here and found out how little the people her practice Christianity.

Cameron thinks so.

The British Humanist Association think not.

The Hindu Council UK can't get excited one way or the other.

What do you think? Should we define our national identity in terms of a religion that few of us care about, or are there better ways to build national cohesion?

I always wonder if people like Cameron and Blair actually believe in God or whether they just say they do because they think it will make them more appealing to the electorate.

I agree with Roots, particularly in the probability of the number of Christians being artificially inflated.

By this I mean that there are those who perhaps don't believe in God/s, saying/ticking C of E when what they really mean is they're definately not Muslim/Hindu/Bhuddist etc...

It also sounded like he thinks he is the next prophet of the lord or something. Don't believe a word he says.