Four wheel drive/AWD

Any advice on four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive cars for Sheffield? We're looking to buy new. We keep our cars for 10-15 years, so we are looking for something that will last so long as we take good care of it. We know it won't come cheap, but would like something that's not silly money.

We've never had 4wd or awd car before, but have been persuaded of the usefulness after a third winter in a row of experiencing that stomach-churning feeling of feeling the car slide backwards down the street.

A couple of other considerations:

- it can't be too wide -- our driveway is very narrow; fits a Corolla just about

- prefer to have a saloon or hatchback, but flexible [edited because I had mistakenly put the word NOT in there -- GEARED thanks for pointing that out]

- not looking for a luxury brand, but they seem to dominate this area; do we have to get a Landrover or BMW or Audi if we want a solid car in this category?

Edited by Dozer
Typo

You have a narrow drive, but don't want a saloon or hatch.

That leaves a sports car or a Chelsea tractor?

You're basically looking for a compact car with 4WD?

What about an impreza?

Fiat Panda do a 4WD, but the Panda is properly gutless and nasty inside.

How much is your budget?

You have a narrow drive, but don't want a saloon or hatch.

That leaves a sports car or a Chelsea tractor?

You're basically looking for a compact car with 4WD?

What about an impreza?

Fiat Panda do a 4WD, but the Panda is properly gutless and nasty inside.

How much is your budget?

How about a Grand Vitara..?

I think the newer model is quite chunky, I assume it's larger than a Corrola (so a no no) but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm trying to think of something small enough for the OP's driveway, and obviously new and reliable because they wanna keep if for 10-15 years.

Any advice on four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive cars for Sheffield? We're looking to buy new. We keep our cars for 10-15 years, so we are looking for something that will last so long as we take good care of it. We know it won't come cheap, but would like something that's not silly money.

We've never had 4wd or awd car before, but have been persuaded of the usefulness after a third winter in a row of experiencing that stomach-churning feeling of feeling the car slide backwards down the street.

A couple of other considerations:

- it can't be too wide -- our driveway is very narrow; fits a Corolla just about

- prefer not to have a saloon or hatchback, but flexible

- not looking for a luxury brand, but they seem to dominate this area; do we have to get a Landrover or BMW or Audi if we want a solid car in this category?

Something from Subaru maybe? We bought our first 4wd, a second hand Subaru Legacy Estate 3 years ago. Its has gone up every snow coved road I point it at but the nice thing is it doesn't look like a 4x4. I know you are looking to buy new, well I can add that my £800 Ebay Subaru is now into its 14th year and the dealer reckons there is plenty of life still in it. Just have to check what models they still do as I think the are gradually phasing out the legacy in favour of the Outback & Forester model. I also considered Panda 4x4 and something from Skoda. They were both were too expensive second hand for my budget, but may be something in your range.

I'd give the Dacia Duster a look. As far as I recall the basic 4wd model is about £10K. I mention them as they make a big thing on being simple well engineered cars, devoid of unnecessary things to go wrong. The basic one is VERY basic though, as it goes it doesn't have a radio or air con and rubber floor mats. But if you were using it as a hack then not having these things would probably be of a benefit.

If you bought one for 10K and kept it, as you say, for 10-15 years you would have well had your moneys worth out of it.

Thanks for replies so far. Sorry for stupid typo in original post, now corrected. I wrote that I prefer not to have a saloon or hatch. I mean to say that I do prefer to have them.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 12:16 ----------

Geared asked about budget. 20K would be ideal, but can go over.

Thanks for replies so far. Sorry for stupid typo in original post, now corrected. I wrote that I prefer not to have a saloon or hatch. I mean to say that I do prefer to have them.

What's your budget? Not being nosey but a ballpark figure would help a bit.. :)

Ah,you've just edited your post..

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 12:20 ----------

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 12:16 ----------

Geared asked about budget. 20K would be ideal, but can go over.

Ford Kuga? Can that be classed as a hatchback?

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 12:21 ----------

Does it have to be brand new..you may be able to save quite a bit on a very nearly new car from places like Motorpoint etc..

Edited by truman

Ford Kuga? Can that be classed as a hatchback?

no, SUV.

I hope the OP isn't Croatian or Serbian

(Kuga means Plague in their language) :D

Just my twopenn'th but I owned a Subaru Legacy AWD, lovely car but not very good MPG and High Road Tax band because of emissions.. Also remember if the road in front is blocked with two wheel drive cars you're not going much further anyway !

Just my twopenn'th but I owned a Subaru Legacy AWD, lovely car but not very good MPG and High Road Tax band because of emissions.. Also remember if the road in front is blocked with two wheel drive cars you're not going much further anyway !

You can get diesel legacies now which give high 40's to the gallon but I think they're a bit over the OP's budget..