What Legally Do I Need To Do To Ride A Scooter / Motorbike?

I've searched for this, and it only comes up with bike ads, bike recommendations and events.

I got my car licence in March 2008 and it has fkp as a category on it, and obviously the car bit, but nothing more I am 23.

I'm very confused as to what I need to do and what I should get. I'm looking for a bike I don't have to ride with a ton of expensive training, and it has to be able to go on a motorway. I'd preferably like an old-school looking Vespa/Lambretta, but preferably new to minimise repairs.

I've heard about CBT, but I'm really confused as to what I have to do, and how much it will cost. I've heard you get different licences for difference sizes of bikes - any info?

Update - added my age for info.

I've searched for this, and it only comes up with bike ads, bike recommendations and events.

I got my car licence in March 2008 and it has fkp as a category on it, and obviously the car bit, but nothing more.

I'm very confused as to what I need to do and what I should get. I'm looking for a bike I don't have to ride with a ton of expensive training, and it has to be able to go on a motorway. I'd preferably like an old-school looking Vespa/Lambretta, but preferably new to minimise repairs.

I've heard about CBT, but I'm really confused as to what I have to do, and how much it will cost. I've heard you get different licences for difference sizes of bikes - any info?

And admin still won't listen to me about a vehicles section :rolleyes:

Anyway, to get on two wheels providing you're over 17 (a lot of the ins and outs of this are to do with age so advising your age would be useful) you can ride a motorcycle upto 125 cc (about 70mph top speed and 0-60 in a few days but very good on fuel,tax and insurance) as long as you display L plates and have a valid driving license (/prov. driving license) and a valid CBT. A CBT is a day course consisting of an offroad and an on road test with a little bit of theory. It's nice and simple, and with the right instructor it's nothing to worry about, and a good day out. A CBT will set you back anywhere up to about £120 - but I'd seriously advise you to not go anywhere but here (for about £95 and plenty of free cups of tea :)). With only a CBT you cannot ride on motorways or carry pillion passengers.

To progress on to motorways/bigger bike/license to let someone poo themself on your back seat; you need to pass a full motorcycle test (or a moped :gag: test). The only two types of full motorcycle test worth considering are the A2 test and the Das. To do either of these you need a license (provisional or car) a cbt and a theory test (yes another one, exactly the same as the car test bar 2 motorcycle questions and wahey the DSA have another £50 of your hard earned cash). Das is for 21+'s and stands for direct access scheme, you pretty much do intensive training (this can include a cbt if you don't have one) with your test at the end, you then have full entitlements to the road on whatever motorcycle you desire. With an A2 (standard) license (17+) you have full entitlement to the roads and passengers etc. but are restricted to a motorcycle that has a power output of no more than 33bhp (this can be any cc, I have a 650cc, just it has to be restricted by a shop to 33bhp - I have a list of bikes that are manufactured 33bhp with no need for restriction if you need it). I would recommend the A2 license as 1) it's cheaper and 2) your restricted to a sensible bike for a couple of years (don't get me wrong they're still pretty fast) so are less likely to kill yourself and can survive to progress to a bigger bike if you wish.

Think I've covered the essentials :D

Top post Dave :thumbsup:

Cheers Futo :thumbsup: - I like to put a bit of effort into my drivvel every now and then...

Think I've covered the essentials :D

I bloody didn't - you asked about price!

An A2 license (or A standard as I've seen it called) will set you back anywhere between £80-£120 per lesson (all day) and most learners require 3 or 4 (or more) lessons and the test itself at present costs about £60.

Now there's a bit of a (to use my nan's word) hoo-ha with the motorcycle testing in the UK at the moment, on the 29th of September '08 onwards they are introducing a ridiculous, nazi concentration camp , money grabbing,bas 'new' part to the test, an offroad monoevres part which can only be tested at 'special super test centres' (of which there are only like 2 in the country that will be ready in time-nearest one derby or somewhere :rolleyes:). In this offroad monoevres section you'll have to do an emergency stop at about 30mph, avoid a (as far as I'm aware) stationary object at 31 or 32mph and some more bits - and of course this test costs more. I'm not sure how much yet but reckon it'll be £100+, I'm sure someone who doesn't have RSI could help us out here.

The test centres are rammed at the moment so you'll struggle to get a test before the new test is introduced (unless everything doesn't go according to plan and test centres aren't ready etc. ..... it's a possibility) - if you're serious about getting on a bike (I hope you are after making me type all this :mad::hihi:) I'd talk to an instructor see what dates they have available then get straight online and book your theory and practical tests asap, then get a cbt and start having practical lessons, you may just get it by the skin of your teeth.

The DAS will cost you around £110 a day including loan of a bike and everything and takes about 4 or 5 days I beleive.

Dave

Oh god help me...

Right - so it looks like I need a 'baby' licence (A2?) I don't want to drive something huge. I just want the cheapest way possible to get me on a motorway on a bike - any bike!

I can't afford my own car (am insured on partner's) so the closest I'm going to get to my own vehicle is a bike.

So bit by bit, I need to pay for (tell me if I'm right):

CBT (before I even sit on a bike)

Lessons

Theory Test

Practical Test

Yes? And what would the costs of this lot be ? :S

No, wait, hang on, isn't there a licence somewhere between a 'any bike' and a 'under 50cc bike' ? Argh - so confused!

No, wait, hang on, isn't there a licence somewhere between a 'any bike' and a 'under 50cc bike' ? Argh - so confused!

No it's all there nutty girl your license to learn is the CBT, 50cc,125cc anything you want up to a 125 then you can take your theory, get some training days, take your A2 test and jump on a bike. A2 isn't necessarily a baby license (A1 is) I'm on A2 and I've still got a 0-60 in 3.75 seconds beast. And anyway your restrictions only last for 2 years after passing your test then you can get on anything you like!

Just get your CBT, then your theory, your lessons and take your A2 and your ready.

you only have to be 16 to have a 50cc scooter

She's 23 and 50cc bikes aren't allowed on motorways regardless of license.

So I can ride anything after 2 years? You sure? I don't need any additional tests?

So let me get this straight, I can drive a 125cc on a motorway?

And admin still won't listen to me about a vehicles section :rolleyes:

Anyway, to get on two wheels providing you're over 17 (a lot of the ins and outs of this are to do with age so advising your age would be useful) you can ride a motorcycle upto 125 cc (about 70mph top speed and 0-60 in a few days but very good on fuel,tax and insurance) as long as you display L plates and have a valid driving license (/prov. driving license) and a valid CBT. A CBT is a day course consisting of an offroad and an on road test with a little bit of theory. It's nice and simple, and with the right instructor it's nothing to worry about, and a good day out. A CBT will set you back anywhere up to about £120 - but I'd seriously advise you to not go anywhere but here (for about £95 and plenty of free cups of tea :)). With only a CBT you cannot ride on motorways or carry pillion passengers.

Thanks for the info,a lot easier to read than the govenment website regarding CBT's etc.!

So I can ride upto a 125cc motor bike on a CBT(with 'L' plates) with a full UK driving license then just retake the CBT when it expires after two years(still with 'L' plates?)

Thanks.