Is Racism wired into you genetically ?

I'm not convinced that "stranger anxiety" is inbuilt in babies. Many babies aren't bothered by strangers.

As a father to a two year old, and surrounded by friends with kids, I can say that there are very few if any that I know who have any worries about strangers. My girl likes to say hi to everybody, including the druggies, odd men and hipster teens.

Another load of rubbish coming from ivanana.

As a father to a two year old, and surrounded by friends with kids, I can say that there are very few if any that I know who have any worries about strangers. My girl likes to say hi to everybody, including the druggies, odd men and hipster teens.

Another load of rubbish coming from ivanana.

Its not coming from me, it's coming from experts in the field, so whilst you are entitled to disagree with them, it just means as usual you are talking crap.

Its not coming from me, it's coming from experts in the field, so whilst you are entitled to disagree with them, it just means as usual you are talking crap.

Actually, what the experts say is that sometimes children are a bit clingy towards their parents, it happens sometimes. It isn't as serious as you say it is, and it definintely isn't as prevalant. So, instead of making comments on every single thread on this website, how about you go and experience the real world so you can comment without posting links to half baked research and personal opinions.

Williams Syndrome (WS) is a genetic disorder and people with the condition lack stranger anxiety.

Cool story.

I'm not convinced that "stranger anxiety" is inbuilt in babies.

Actually, what the experts say is that sometimes children are a bit clingy towards their parents, it happens sometimes. It isn't as serious as you say it is, and it definintely isn't as prevalant. So, instead of making comments on every single thread on this website, how about you go and experience the real world so you can comment without posting links to half baked research and personal opinions.

You can keep disagreeing with the experts all you like, but it won't change the fact that they are probably correct you have no idea what you are talking about.

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 12:45 ----------

Cool story.

I'm not convinced that "stranger anxiety" is inbuilt in babies.

You wouldn't admit that you was convinced even if you was convinced, and it doesn't really matter either way, nor will it change the facts.

Exactly, but why is this ?

Is it because we have it in us to be naturally cautious, 'wired into us' ?

Both things are negative but are they negative because it was beneficial to be that way as we evolved in a world that we were not the masters off ?

I understand your caution to the question the topic poses, but understanding ourselves better is a positive thing.

My understanding of why we stereotype is because it helps us simplify and to make sense of the complex world around us.

Some babies are anxious, others are more social - but I think as part of growing up, and developing confidence we can learn to challenge stereotypes and assumptions and make sense of the world around us.

There may well be an evolutionary aspect to making stereotypes and quick judgements....But I think that as people, in the society we have, it should be clear that prejudice on racial lines is about scapegoating people (usually to avoid the blaming of ourselves for our own misfortune) and excluding others.

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 13:05 ----------

Stranger anxiety is the inbuilt fear of strangers that develops over the first few months and most children eventually learn not to fear strangers.

But what does a fear of being seperated from your primary caregiver have to do with the proposition that racism is wired into us genetically?

You can keep disagreeing with the experts all you like, but it won't change the fact that they are probably correct you have no idea what you are talking about.

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 12:45 ----------

You wouldn't admit that you was convinced even if you was convinced, and it doesn't really matter either way, nor will it change the facts.

Considering how I have a child, and I know people who have kids, seems we disagree. I'd listen to myself, seeing as I have actual experience, rather than some website telling me I'm wrong.

As I say, rather than listening to everything you read on the internet, go out and experience life, base your opinions and knowledge on experience and education, rather than Google.

But what does a fear of being seperated from your primary caregiver have to do with the proposition that racism is wired into us genetically?

What you describe is separation anxiety and not stranger anxiety which is what I was talking about.

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 17:04 ----------

Considering how I have a child, and I know people who have kids, seems we disagree. I'd listen to myself, seeing as I have actual experience, rather than some website telling me I'm wrong.

As I say, rather than listening to everything you read on the internet, go out and experience life, base your opinions and knowledge on experience and education, rather than Google.

I also have kids and know kids, but knowing a few kids doesn't give me or you an insight into the genetics of stranger anxiety. So whilst I know from personal experience that children are fearfully of strangers, I rely on experts to explain why that is.

I had a cold once, sadly it didn't give me knowledge about how the virus is passed from person to person, or how my immune system attacks it, that came from reading, you should maybe try it one day. Its amazing what knowledge you can get from books.

What you describe is separation anxiety and not stranger anxiety which is what I was talking about.

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 17:04 ----------

I also have kids and know kids, but knowing a few kids doesn't give me or you an insight into the genetics of stranger anxiety. So whilst I know from personal experience that children are fearfully of strangers, I rely on experts to explain why that is.

I had a cold once, sadly it didn't give me knowledge about how the virus is passed from person to person, or how my immune system attacks it, that came from reading, you should maybe try it one day. Its amazing what knowledge you can get from books.

So your kids have an irrational fear of strangers, which also going by the link you posted, means their own family? Strange.

You can keep trying, but it's blatently obvious by your views, and the way you try and argue, that you actually have no clue what you are on about, and get involved in a topic by just googling the subject and hoping for the best.

So your kids have an irrational fear of strangers?

I have no idea where you got that idea from but the answer is no.

I have no idea where you got that idea from but the answer is no.

That's not what you just said?

That's not what you just said?

Both those quotes are exactly what I said, but you asked if my kids have an irrational fear of strangers? And the answer is still no.