Farmers rights when it comes to dogs worrying sheep

Wow you sound like such a dick. I wish I knew who you were as I'd love to let my dog **** all over your garden and lick your face, just to annoy you :)

Which just goes to proves my point about some dog owners.

What upset you most; the truth or trying to read it?

If you take your dog into the countryside and are irresponsible enough to not have it on a lead then it is not under control, if there are livestock in the vicinity the farmer has the right to shoot the damn thing. There are some restrictions, not towards people or the highway within certain distances etc but if he is not in breech of the fire-arm regs then he can shoot all the dogs he wants if they are potentially worrying his livestock.

An acquaintance of mine who's dad is a sheep farmer says his dad when shooting dogs on the land always aims for the dog's back end so that he doesn't kill it. He said its because his dad believes townies get more upset about vet bills than losing their dogs.

He's probably right .. and good luck to him.

None working dogs if people must have them ought be within a securely fenced area or an a lead at all times. It is an offence to have a dog that is not under control.

Ah 'townies', the insult that just makes the person saying it look like a complete bumpkin. Just because we don't have incest and witchcraft in the town doesn't mean we are second-class citizens. Quite the opposite in fact...

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 19:22 ----------

Wow you sound like such a dick. I wish I knew who you were as I'd love to let my dog **** all over your garden and lick your face, just to annoy you :)

I think I love you.

There is no grey area there.

If the dog is back on a lead under control, the farmer cannot, legally, shoot it.

You knew what I meant.

Living where I do it's impossible not to encounter sheep on a daily basis.

The field immediately behind my house is full of'em. In fact every field is full of them. I've even had them in my front garden.

There is no way I would ever let my dog off lead up here.

Yes, the farmer has every right to shoot a dog worrying his stock, and I've no doubt he would do so.

For that reason I often go down the mountain to exercise the dog off lead away from livestock.

I like to take my dog to the park to meet sheep. He seems to take great pleasure from licking the wax out of their ears!

The truth? It's clear you don't have your facts straight from the now sadly deleted posts on the Pets board - you stated that 'hunting with dogs' is illegal when that is not true at all, amongst other rubbish.

If the farmer needs to shoot a dog to protect his livestock, fair enough, but he should shoot to kill cleanly. Deliberately maiming an animal and leaving it wounded and in pain to teach someone a lesson is the act of a seriously sick individual, and your condoning that is little less, vile!

Edited by vwkittie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommo68 viewpost.gif

The truth? It's clear you don't have your facts straight from the now sadly deleted posts on the Pets board - you stated that 'hunting with dogs' is illegal when that is not true at all, amongst other rubbish.

I will admit quite freely there are some exceptions;

You can’t hunt some animals, like foxes, hares and deer, but you can hunt under certain conditions, for example:

• stalking and flushing out - but only to control pests and only if they’re shot as soon as possible afterwards
  • hunting rats and rabbits (vermin or pests)
  • retrieving hares that have been shot
  • rescuing wounded animals, as long as they weren’t wounded on purpose
 (altrustic)
  • drag hunting and trail hunting...(which is not really hunting)

If the farmer needs to shoot a dog to protect his livestock, fair enough, but he should shoot to kill cleanly. Deliberately maiming an animal and leaving it wounded and in pain to teach someone a lesson is the act of a seriously sick individual, and your condoning that is little less, vile!

If the owner is irresponsible enough to have a dog not in a enclosed space and not on a lead then the owner is responsible for what happens to it. Shooting and either killing or maiming dogs I neither condemn nor condone.

If the owner cared about their animal they would not put it in a position where it would be shot at.

If the owner was a responsible person they would excersise their, non-working dogs in a specifically designed and enclosed secure space. Where other dogs and their owners' can be subject to disease and attacks without creating a threat to other people.

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 21:24 ----------

Ah 'townies', the insult that just makes the person saying it look like a complete bumpkin. Just because we don't have incest and witchcraft in the town doesn't mean we are second-class citizens. Quite the opposite in fact...

If you were born, live and were raised in a town you are probably townie a benign collective noun.

Implying people that were born, live and were raised in the countryside are all bumpkins is a very broad derogatory insult. Your implied accusations of incest and witchcraft only serve to erase any credence your other posts may have had or will have in future.

Of course there is no incest in towns and cities ....where people are far less likely to know each other or even their neighbours.

Do yourself a favour stay out of the countryside ....they might live up to your expectations and give you a warm welcome... in a wicker man.

I think I love you.

And there was me thinking you didn't care... Just shows ..you never can tell.

First , I do not live in the country , but I have great respect for those that do . If I had a dog . there would be no way I would let it go anywhere near sheep . That in my opinion is asking for trouble. We should respect farmers & their livelihoods . Like I say , if I had a dog , I couldnt live with myself because I was irresponsible & let the dog go where they wanted & therefore worried sheep & put the farmer in the position where they had to choose between shooting the dog or not would be horrid. People need to have respect . There are plenty of places to let the dogs roam without putting it at risk. Just take care .