Powered aircraft in the park.

I’m sure there must be some law against flying model aircraft in public parks.

Over the bank holiday weekend I met a friend and we took our dogs for a run in Graves Park only to get buzzed by a powered model aircraft flown by remote control. My dogs nearly had apoplexy.

Is this really what our parks are for?

No they are just very large dog toilets.

I would far rather have model planes in a park than any dog.

It would seem that Sheffield Parks disagree.

The byelaws forbid the flying of powered RC model aircraft in Sheffield Parks.

I remember when park entrances used to have the bylaws on a big sign, I guess those days are gone, along with "parkies".

I remember when park entrances used to have the bylaws on a big sign, I guess those days are gone, along with "parkies".

No point in the signs these days...people would just ignore them and do what they wanted to anyway...

only to get buzzed by a powered model aircraft flown by remote control.

When you say buzzed do you mean it was deliberately flown at you?

Was it an aeroplane with an engine?

When you say buzzed do you mean it was deliberately flown at you?

Was it an aeroplane with an engine?

Yes it had an engine. It sounded rather like a chain saw or a strimmer and smelled like an oil lamp. I don't think it was deliberately flown at anyone, but the guy clearly had little idea of how to control it. Then when the engine cut (out of gas?) it plunged into the ground. Lots of kids playing football. Folk walking dogs etc. A bit like a park on a sunny day.

It would seem that Sheffield Parks disagree.

Yes.

I think the council just go with the majority.

(i) A person shall not fly or permit to fly any power-driven, jet-propelled or rocket-propelled model aircraft in any of the pleasure grounds except the pleasure grounds known as Blacka Moor, Richmond Sports Park, Graves Park, Tinsley Park Playing Fields and Concord Park;

(ii) A person shall not fly or permit to fly in the pleasure ground known as Blacka Moor

a) Any jet propelled or rocket-propelled model aircraft:

b) Any power-driven model aircraft attached to a control line; or

c) Any power driven model aircraft unless the noise of the engine is reduced as far as is reasonably practicable by a silencer or similar contrivance;

(iii) A person shall not fly or permit to fly in the pleasure grounds known as Richmond Sports Park, Graves Park, Tinsley Park Playing Fields and Concord Park

a) Any power driven, jet propelled or rocket propelled model aircraft unless the noise of the engine or the jet or rocket device as the case may be is reduced as far as is reasonably practicable by a silencer or similar contrivance;

b) Any jet propelled or rocket propelled model aircraft unless it is attached to a control line and is kept under effective control;

(iv) Where any part or parts of the pleasure grounds known as Richmond Sports Park, Graves Park, Tinsley Park Playing Fields and Concord Park has or have by Notice conspicuously exhibited in any such pleasure ground been set apart by the Council for the flying of power-driven, jet- propelled or rocket-propelled model aircraft attached to a control line a person shall not fly or permit any such model aircraft to fly in any such part or parts unless it is attached to a control line and is kept under effective control and shall not fly or permit any such model aircraft so attached to fly in any other part of that pleasure ground;

(v) Where any part or parts of the pleasure grounds known as Richmond Sports Park, Graves Park, Tinsley Park Playing Fields and Concord Park has or have by Notice conspicuously exhibited in any such pleasure ground been set apart by the Council for the flying of power-driven model aircraft not attached to a control line a person shall not fly or permit to fly in any such part any such model aircraft attached to a control line and shall not fly or permit to fly any such model aircraft not so attached in any other part of the said pleasure ground;

(vi) A person shall not in any part of the said pleasure grounds known as Richmond Sports Park, Graves Park, Tinsley Park Playing Fields and Concord Park so set apart by the Council for the flying of power driven model aircraft not attached to a control line

a) Fly or permit any jet-propelled or rocket-propelled model aircraft to fly at all;

b) Fly or permit any power-driven model aircraft to fly attached to a control line;

c) Fly or permit any power driven model aircraft to fly unless it is kept under effective control;

d) A person shall not in any part of the said pleasure grounds known as Concord Park and Graves Park fly or permit any power-driven jet-propelled or rocket-propelled model aircraft to fly on the days and during the hours specified in the following table

TABLE

Days

Hours

Thursdays and Saturdays

Between 12 noon and sunset

That's pretty clear. It's not allowed then. I also assume there is no problem taking dogs in the park as they seem to have provided a poop bin every few hundred yards.

The bye-laws are also pretty clear that dogs in Graves Park, and may others should be "controlled by a leash, slip, cord, string or the like".

That isn't my experience of dogs in parks.