Norwich or not?

I'm from Sheffield born and raised in Hillsborough and now live in Heeley. I've just been offered the chance to relocate to Norwich and I'm torn. It's a great opportunity and a job I want to do but all of my family lives in Yorkshire and Norwich is quite far. The other thing is I've started to have a look at properties to see prices etc but I don't have a clue what areas to look. I've signed up with a few estate agents like Abbotts to get an idea about the areas but it's difficult not knowing anybody who lives there that can give me any help. Does anybody here have family in the area who could offer a bit advice? Or anybody been offered a job to move away and taken it? Or turned it down? I really don't know what to do!

Take a cheap train trip and go and stay for the weekend to get a feel for the place.

If you want a career then go if you value family life more then dont. Most students deal with homesickness when they go to uni, but it can be hard. What you need to do is build yourself a support system if you decide to go.

Ask your employers if you can go visit the office you might move to and visit for an afternoon.

Google moving to Norwich and read up.

Get a street map and start looking at where your routo to work is and which areas seem viable.

Get a travellers/ tourist guide.

Basically get yourself in a better position so you have thought about the pros and cons and are in a more informed position which will increase your chances of making the right choice for you.

Norwich is quite nice, and it's not like it's at the end of the earth.

It's only what, 3-4 hour drive. You can do that pretty easy at least once a month to visit people.

I have friends there who love it. THere is an area called the Golden Triangle which everybody aspires to live in, house prices are higher there but it is considered the place to live.Google it?

I'm doing the same, to the south coast, but it depends upon the person doing the move?

Do you have family going with you (if going alone, look on Gumtree for flats?)? There's always skype, phones, email etc?

Cheap coach travel home in a few hours every other weekend?

I love Norwich, great place to live. It's not far from lots of other places, you don't have to live directly in Norwich itself.

I'd say do it, if the job is worth it. Broaden your horizon, you can always come back to Sheffield in the future.

Great location, even if getting to and from it seems to take forever!

As trackrunner rightly says, there are other nice places nearby including the stunning Norfolk Broads and nice little seaside resorts like Happisburgh (pronounced Haysborough) and Cromer.

The city centre is a nice blend of traditional and new. What's to consider?!

Sometimes you have to take that gamble, it's not like you are moving abroad you can always come back

Happisburgh (pronounced Haysborough)

Hays-bruh is the normal pronunciation.

Wymondham is the other good miss-spelling - pronounced "windham".

Go for it.

You will always wonder"what might have been" if you don't.

Voice of experience.

I faced the same dilemma four years ago - moving away from friends and family for a better job. I decided to move and don't regret it at all. I think if I'd stayed in Sheffield, I would have spent a lot of time wondering if I'd made the right decision.

I can't help with the best place to live in Norwich but I do wish you the best of luck.

Edited by Andy