Backlash against Daily Mail foodbanks story

What nasty and spiteful about it ?

The problem is the Lefties refuse to accept there are scroungers in this country, and anyone who dares to point out there are many scroungers among us is automatically labelled as "Nasty and Vicious" .

The tone of the article was "our journalist could do this therefore all food bank users must be doing this". "This" being tricking an elderly volunteer at the CAB into giving our a food voucher to someone who she believed was unable to feed his hungry children.

"This" being taking advantage of those people who, through kindness and compassion for their fellow human beings, donate a few items of food to the foodbank. "This being the volunteers who run the foodbank.

Some users of food banks do probably take advantage - but there is no evidence that the "scroungers" are in the majority. And it is surely better to feed a few "scroungers" than have children go hungry?

Oh, and I am probably a Leftie but I do accept that there are plenty of scroungers in this country. Maria Miller being the most recent example.

Edited by Andy

The tone of the article was "our journalist could do this therefore all food bank users must be doing this"

But that's how every article in the Mail works it seems.

Once you understand that trick you get much less outraged at their stories because most of them are cobblers.

But that's how every article in the Mail works it seems.

Once you understand that trick you get much less outraged at their stories because most of them are cobblers.

I know and I normally do not get outraged when I read the Mail. It was just this particular story really annoyed me. Picking on charities for goodness sake.

If I was the charity I would be reporting the journalist to the police for obtaining goods by deception.

There is also a more serious matter - the CAB do a fantastic job but they have limited resources and rely on volunteers. I am sure that they can do without idiots wating their valuable time, time which could have been used to help someone who was in genuine need.

A lot more poor people read the Mail than read the Guardian...

Nothing wrong with food banks, and nothing wrong with people donating to them. I think the people using them need to take a look at themselves and the way they live their lives. I would guarantee that to a fraction of a percent, they have chosen to live unwisely in the past, spent money on things they didn't need instead of choosing to save for a rainy day. But there will always be people like this and so there will always be a need for things like food banks.

Newspapers aren't really read by the poor.

They are generally read by pensioners on state benefits. Who aren't particularly poor.

Newspapers aren't really read by the poor.

They are generally read by pensioners on state benefits. Who aren't particularly poor.

Newspapers are read less and less now. People aren't as easy to fool, except the older ones. The aim of the DM is to mobilise the grey vote in favour of the Tories.