Xbox - PS2 - Game Cube?

As Christmas draws closer many parents/kids and adults will be making the choice of which Game console to buy.

So, which one's best? "Only joking"

What are the good/bad points about each console?

Which console will still be around in a couple of years time?

Thoughts?

--------

I had a PS2 but traded it in for a xbox.

I think the Gamecube is on it's last legs which is a shame.

I prefer the Xbox and think it will continue to out perform the others.

The poXyBox is just an out of date PC, and, being M$ is a bit poo. One of my friends has a poXyBox, and it seems to crash quite a lot, which isn't good - and he now regrets getting one over a PS2.

There doesn't seem to be the range of games for the poXyBox as there is for the PS2, but I have to admit that although I don't like the poXyBox, there are one or two good games for it - Halo is a great multiplayer game, and Knights of the Old Republic is a great RPG game. Other than that, I don't really like it to be honest - I'm just not impressed with most of the games available.

The only thing I can say about the Game Cube is that it seems very much to be aimed at the younger market, whereas both the PS2 and poXyBox both have more adult oriented games available as well as children's games.

Personally, I'd opt for the PS2 - a wider choice of games, and an established system in the market (I think the poXyBox may be starting to struggle as M$ realise they can't just barge into any market and take over, as they'd hoped).

Depends what you want the console for:

Graphics - get an Xbox

Online gaming - get an Xbox

DVDs - get a PS2

Great software titles - get a PS2

Multiplayer games - get a gamecube

Party games - get a gamecube

Or just get a gamecube anyway cos they're so cheap and have the Zelda games on them! And the best secret character in Soul Calibur 2 - Link!

I will watch this thread with interest - Santa ;) is wondering which to buy too.

There are some fantastic offers for buying the PS2. Argos is currently offering a satin edition with two cotrols, free game and driving wheel for only £150!

Now to add to the above I think PS2 seems great value for money if you shop around and find a bargin

Moon

The problem with the argos-type deals is that the free games are inevitably rubbish!! Better going to gamestation on the Moor...

... but both PS2 and GameCube have cheap games available - £20 or so...

Argos offer

That is the other thing too - it may be cheap to start off with - but what will it cost you in the long run.

Moon

It's rumoured the PS2, along with XBOX, are going to drop to £99 in December. However, I certainly wouldn't pay extra for a PS2 just becuase it's painted silver.

I'm a PS2 user, I got one after many years of happy PS1 gaming and was not disappointed.

we are more interested in the silver ones cos you get an extra control as standard. The plain ones you just get one control.

Unless someone can show me an offer otherwise?

Moon

Originally posted by Agent Dan

Depends what you want the console for:

DVDs - get a PS2

The XBox is a very competent DVD player, from what I've read in professional DVD publications.

Older Playstation 2s lagged far behind in terms of DVD playback, but Sony recently (quietly) brought out a revised model, with significantly better DVD playback support.

The new model can be recognised visually from the front as it does NOT have the itsy little 4pin firewire/i.link port on the front. It also has the all important numbers SCPH-50003 on the back.

I'd go for the PS2 but only because of GTA3 .. yabba yabba :clap: :clap:

i look at it like this...

you buy a games-console to play games

ps2 has the best games

so get a ps2!

seriously i urge anyone looking to buy a console to get a ps2 - forget about xbox and gamecube or you could regret it

HAS to be the PS2. Now has online gaming if you have broadband.

DVD player.

Superb games like Medal of Honor, SSX etc

No competition.

Take my word as a serious gamer :thumbsup: