Checking oil in car

Just done my first oil change, and not sure I have put enough oil in. Engine is supposed to take 3.2 litres. I have a 5 litre bottle. Poured out approx 1.8, then put the remaining 3.2 in to the engine. Have driven on it, parked up, and looking at the dipstick, it's hard to see the oil (it's clear), but it looks like it's just below the minimum mark on the dipstick. Could be because I've just drove it and it needs time to settle.

How long should I wait before checking oil levels?

Also, if I top up a bit, how long will that take to show on a dipstick check?

Thanks.

It shows up nearly straight away / Never ever put to much oil in

Look very carefull you can see it wipe dipstick clean insert again look again put your glasses on

Rremember its a must to change oil filter

Edited by spider1

Nice flat level ground, leave it a few minutes in between top ups, and usually minimum to maximum is about 1 LTR, so easier to gauge from that. Take you're time and don't over fill especially if it is diesel. You wouldn't like a run away diesel ;)

Oh no!!

So, took a look at the dipstick, decided there didn't look to be any oil on it, put some more in. Look at dipstick again, and (nice) neighbour turns up, who happens to work at a garage, he said it was over the max mark by about .5 litre.

Not sure if it's my eyes, but it looks practically invisible to me.

Had to loosen off sump plug, and re-try the dipstick, a few times. I think it's okay now, though, it's still really hard to read the level on the dipstick.

should have asked (nice) neighbour in the first place ?.

should have asked (nice) neighbour in the first place ?.

Not a bad idea. He works a lot though, at a garage, so he'd probably have just said bring it in there. In any case, I wanted to learn how to do car stuff myself.

Not a bad idea. He works a lot though, at a garage, so he'd probably have just said bring it in there. In any case, I wanted to learn how to do car stuff myself.

we all have to learn, i know some idiot with a hangover who topped up the power steering with antifreeze, he had to drain it all out....huh erm

I know someone who put a pint of oil in down the dipstick hole it took him one hour.