Government policies that should be reversed

1) Pension freedom

Why is this allowed or encouraged when all we hear is that the majority of people are failing to save enough to fund their retirement.

It can only be of benefit to those wealthy enough to not require a private pension,and those fecklessenough to live for today and fall back on benefits in the future.

2) High Speed trains.

A total vanity project where the estimated costs rise weekly and will no doubt overrun in the future.

All to save 20 minutes on a 2 to 3 hour journey.

Spend far less money on a much needed investment on capacity,particularly on east/west routes.

3) Brexit.Not a government decision I know,but for me a disastrous move that is the fault of the Tories for failing to address their own members.

4) Trident.

Another vanity project that seeks to maintain that the UK is a world power.

2) the main incentive of this is to increase capacity and free up existing routes for freight. It's necessary.

5) Student fees. This is an impending educational disaster.

Now students are customers and University's are getting bent over backwards keeping students happy and awarding middling students good degrees.

It's also completely unfair on students especially those from poor families to have to study with a burden of 10s of thousands of pounds of debt.

It also means that universities are now utterly focused on education rather than research.

None of that will mean much to yer average sheffforumer as they are all self made millionaires who went straight to work and through sheer mental willpower made something of themselves.

1) Pension freedom

Why is this allowed or encouraged when all we hear is that the majority of people are failing to save enough to fund their retirement.

It can only be of benefit to those wealthy enough to not require a private pension,and those fecklessenough to live for today and fall back on benefits in the future.

2) High Speed trains.

A total vanity project where the estimated costs rise weekly and will no doubt overrun in the future.

Spend far less money on a much needed investment on capacity,particularly on east/west routes.

3) Brexit.Not a government decision I know,but for me a disastrous move that is the fault of the Tories for failing to address their own members.

4) Trident.

FFS HS2 IS about capacity. The number of long distance train journies have doubled since 1990. Our current set up is ancient.

How many more times!!!!

1) Pension freedom

It stops people being forced to buy an annuity when the market is low and it's not the best option for them.

2) High Speed trains.

Nope, you've entirely misunderstood the point of HS2.

In this case yes, it IS a government decision and they should have the balls to make the right one.

4) Trident.

This one I'm conflicted on. It's hugely expensive, but I'm not convinced that it isn't important.

FFS HS2 IS about capacity. The number of long distance train journies have doubled since 1990. Our current set up is ancient.

How many more times!!!!

I'd be happier if they were just honest with the budget though, it's quite clearly going to top £100bn which is going to cause a huge media and political frenzy that will drag on for years, have no real outcome and will bore everyone to tears.

If someone said "look it's going to cost somewhere between 100 and 200 billion, but there are not better alternatives" then most people would accept it and move on.

---------- Post added 24-07-2017 at 14:50 ----------

This one I'm conflicted on. It's hugely expensive, but I'm not convinced that it isn't important.

Well once we're bungled the Brexit negotiations and got outselves booted out of the EU we can use Trident to negotiate trade deals the old fashioned way. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

How many more times!!!!

Why do you need to get to London 20 minutes faster?

I've never been to stuck up London and have no plans to ever go.

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

I'll say it slowly.

We

Haven't

Got

Enough

Capacity

And we certainly won't in another 20 years. Travel around our motorways. You will queue. Not because of roadworks or accidents, just volume of traffic. This needs to be dealt with and an additional up to date railway line will help. Let's look at it another way if it helps. At some point in the next 20 years there's going to be another major road/motorway built. When that time comes, would you make it 4 lanes wide or would you just recreate the old sections of the A1 - two lanes and roundabouts everywhere?

I think he was agreeing with you, see post #2.

I think he was agreeing with you, see post #2.

Well I don't read things properly ;););)

you should go and then you would see why you need to get there, and more importantly, back from there 20 minutes faster.

1) Pension freedom

2) High Speed trains.

4) Trident.

No , Brexit is a result of both Labour and Tory governments ignoring the public`s objections to mass immigration .