Charges for bins

All around the country, councils are bringing in charges for some type of waste collection.

In Leeds they are starting a £20 fee for large item collection and charges for new bins.

It all seems rather random, pay for this, but not that. Do you pay charges?

The EU WEEE directive imposes the responsibility for the disposal of waste electrical and electronic equipment on the manufacturers or distributors of such equipment.

It requires that those companies establish an infrastructure for collecting WEEE, in such a way that "Users of electrical and electronic equipment from private households should have the possibility of returning WEEE at least free of charge".

Do councils claim money back from the retailers and manufactures?

I think the council have been charging to collect & dispose of large items for quite a while-sofas for example. The last I heard was that the cost was about £10 per item in Rotherham. It may have increased now.

I can't comment on electrical items other than they let you take them to the local recycle site.

What is WEEE an abbreviation of?

You can take your old electrical equipment to any of the dump-it sites around sheffield and dispose of them free of charge.

What is WEEE an abbreviation of?

waste electrical and electronic equipment ??

Isn't the big and bulky collection about 20 quid from SCC (or Amey?)

At the recycle centre/dump-it site in Rotherham, the electrical stuff is segregated in to a shipping container.

You can take your old electrical equipment to any of the dump-it sites around sheffield and dispose of them free of charge.

If you have access to a vehicle.

The council makes a service available, the rest of your life is up to you though... :suspect:

Presumably you got it to your house ok, correct?

Presumably you got it to your house ok, correct?

Come on, you'll be expecting people to take responsibility for their own actions next.

Then public transport is available or you can pay someone to come collect it... the disposal is still free.

It's the thin end of a very large wedge - the first step in the principle of charging for services that we already pay our council tax to provide.

It's the thin end of a very large wedge - the first step in the principle of charging for services that we already pay our council tax to provide.

I don't pay my council tax so the council can remove sofas for free. You can afford to buy a new sofa, you can afford to pay for removing the old one.