Your Favourite Ever Player For Your Team

I was a youngster when Jimmy Hagan played for the Blades but I can still remember how much of a skillful player he was.

Tony Currie was a gifted and naturally talented exponent of the game and certainly the most entertaining player I have seen at the Lane. He played in a similar role, as a midfield general, as Gunter Netzer of Germany and the similarities between the two were uncanny at times. It's a pity Alf Ramsey didn't realize his potential sooner in terms of the national team.

I must also add Joe Shaw to my list who, in my opinion, was the best centre half to wear a United shirt. He was so proficient in controlling the ball that I've seen him dribble past attackers in his own penalty area before passing the ball forward. No big boot up field for Joe! All class acts.

echo.

I agree on Joe Shaw, even as a Wednesday fan I loved to watch that guy play A few inches taller and he would have had a boatload of England caps.

My favourite ever player is Peter Beardsley, especially during his two spells at Newcastle. I saw him on his first outing for the reserves and nobody knew who he was. Some of the things he did in that game convinced me and others he was going to be something special and he was.

My favourite ever player is Peter Beardsley, especially during his two spells at Newcastle. I saw him on his first outing for the reserves and nobody knew who he was. Some of the things he did in that game convinced me and others he was going to be something special and he was.

Beardsley was an excellent player, used to love to watch games with him playing.

I agree on Joe Shaw, even as a Wednesday fan I loved to watch that guy play A few inches taller and he would have had a boatload of England caps.[/quote

Interesting (to me) that Joe Shaw and Jimmy Hagan were born only six miles apart in what was then County Durham.

Interesting (to me) that Joe Shaw and Jimmy Hagan were born only six miles apart in what was then County Durham.

Still is County Durham and chances are they both died roughly six miles apart.

Still is County Durham and chances are they both died roughly six miles apart.

Yes Jim I think some of it except Sunderland and Newcastle which were in County Durham and Northumberland till the government started messing around in 1974, creating Tyne and Wear and Teesside and taking Hull and Grimsby out of East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and creating Humberside. The latter two now being back in the counties where they belong.

---------- Post added 10-06-2017 at 00:18 ----------

I was a youngster when Jimmy Hagan played for the Blades but I can still remember how much of a skillful player he was.

Tony Currie was a gifted and naturally talented exponent of the game and certainly the most entertaining player I have seen at the Lane. He played in a similar role, as a midfield general, as Gunter Netzer of Germany and the similarities between the two were uncanny at times. It's a pity Alf Ramsey didn't realize his potential sooner in terms of the national team.

I must also add Joe Shaw to my list who, in my opinion, was the best centre half to wear a United shirt. He was so proficient in controlling the ball that I've seen him dribble past attackers in his own penalty area before passing the ball forward. No big boot up field for Joe! All class acts.

echo.

Having read Peter Swan's book 'Setting the Record Straight', 'Swanny' says that he used to go to watch the Blades at the Lane when the Owls weren't playing and locate himself on the John Street terrace on purpose in line with the penalty area just to watch Joe Shaw's positioning, control etc, as most centre forwards in those days were tall lads (Joe wasn't, Pete was.) I think that's admiration from one footballer to another and believe they were good friends during their football days.

Yes Jim I think some of it except Sunderland and Newcastle which were in County Durham and Northumberland till the government started messing around in 1974, creating Tyne and Wear and Teesside and taking Hull and Grimsby out of East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and creating Humberside. The latter two now being back in the counties where they belong.

---------- Post added 10-06-2017 at 00:18 ----------

Having read Peter Swan's book 'Setting the Record Straight', 'Swanny' says that he used to go to watch the Blades at the Lane when the Owls weren't playing and locate himself on the John Street terrace on purpose in line with the penalty area just to watch Joe Shaw's positioning, control etc, as most centre forwards in those days were tall lads (Joe wasn't, Pete was.) I think that's admiration from one footballer to another and believe they were good friends during their football days.

A quote from Wiki about Joe:-

'His lack of height never let him down owing to his superb anticipation and ability to read the game.'

and that's how I remember him; rarely being beaten in the air.

Obviously the England team manager at the time; Walter Winterbottom if I recall correctly; saw things differently!

echo.

A quote from Wiki about Joe:-

'His lack of height never let him down owing to his superb anticipation and ability to read the game.'

and that's how I remember him; rarely being beaten in the air.

Obviously the England team manager at the time; Walter Winterbottom if I recall correctly; saw things differently!

echo.

To be fair to Winterbottom, the England team of his day was picked by a selection committee (all southern men I think) and Walter had to manage who was chosen. It wasn't until Alf Ramsey arrived in 1963 that things altered and he insisted that he alone picked the team. Joe was still overlooked and Pete Swan was soon replaced by Maurice Norman of Spurs.

Tony Currie

Trevor Hockey fond memories