May 2017 election results, how did they do?

Those aren't the total number of Lib Dem Councillors, they are the figures from each by-election when only a selection of seats were up. You therefore can't compare them as you aren't comparing like for like, only small proportions of the whole.

What ever the numbers say, the 2017 figure is higher than the 2016 figure, which is a positive.

When a large number of councilors is gained, its not easy to hold on, it may be just a blip, but the 2017 figure is higher than 5 of the most recent years.

What ever the numbers say, the 2017 figure is higher than the 2016 figure, which is a positive.

When a large number of councilors is gained, its not easy to hold on, it may be just a blip, but the 2017 figure is higher than 5 of the most recent years.

I don't think you understand. You cannot compare those numbers - the fact that some are higher than others is meaningless because they are only the numbers for the seats that were being defended (and won) during those elections.

If there are council elections next year, but say only 200 Lib Dem seats are defended as the councils are in areas without much Lib Dem presence, and they managed to win 50 more seats from other parties, would you add 2018: 250 to that list and then have to argue what a poor showing the Lib Dems had because they number was only 250?

No, of course not. It would have been a good showing. Understand?

I don't think you understand.

Yes I understand, but people dont always stick with one party. So they have a good year and get more seats, but because it was only a protest vote, the next time many lose.

I am looking over a 7 year period, and it is not downward, 90 more seats than the 4 years before.

That's why I can't bring myself to vote.

It's like voting for a kick in the nuts or a punch to the face. Not worth the walk to the polling station

Why walk, just register to postal vote ;)

Yes I understand, but people dont always stick with one party. So they have a good year and get more seats, but because it was only a protest vote, the next time many lose.

I am looking over a 7 year period, and it is not downward, 90 more seats than the 4 years before.

I'm not sure how that relates to my comment. I am well aware that people don't stick with one party.

You can't compare the 2017 local elections with the 2013 local elections. The same number of seats weren't being contested.

In the 2013 local elections, the Lib Dems were defending 476 seats. They lost 124, leaving them with 352.

In the 2017 local elections, the Lib Dems were defending 483 seats. They lost 42, leaving them with 441.

In the 2012 council elections, they lost 300 odd seats, and the number of total councillors fell below 3000 for the first time ever. They currently have 1820 councillors in total. There is a trend, and it isn't upwards..

Edited by Robin-H

You can't compare the 2017 local elections with the 2013 local elections. The same number of seats weren't being contested.

Vote share recent in local elections

2017 = 18%

2016 = 15%

2015 = not stated

2014 = 13%

2013 = 14%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2017

Vote share recent in local elections

2017 = 18%

2016 = 15%

2015 = not stated

2014 = 13%

2013 = 14%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2017

Again, you're not comparing like with like. Whilst the percentage vote share isn't completely valueless as an indication of party support, comparing results from local elections, when only a selection of the seats were up for election, does not give a true representation.

It could have been that the election in 2017 had more councils up for election in Lib Dem areas than in 2014 say, and so you would expect there to be a higher vote share. It does not give you a picture from which you can glean any particularly useful information.

Does the fact that you have now moved your argument onto percentage vote share mean that you now see why you can't sensibly argue that Lib Dems are increasing numbers of councillors, when they are indeed decreasing, and there has been a downward trend for a number of years.

Does the fact that you have now moved your argument onto percentage vote share mean that you now see why you can't sensibly argue that Lib Dems are increasing numbers of councillors, when they are indeed decreasing, and there has been a downward trend for a number of years.

I am just putting my opinion on here, a positive view of the Liberal Democrat performance. There are many methods to compare the local elections with, the BBC compared said the "Lib Dems failed to make headway", all reporting seems to be subjective. They have increased their vote share.

Is the only way to project the 2017 general election result to project from 2015, of course not.

I did think people might want to comment about the other parties.

I am just putting my opinion on here, a positive view of the Liberal Democrat performance. There are many methods to compare the local elections with, the BBC compared said the "Lib Dems failed to make headway", all reporting seems to be subjective. They have increased their vote share.

Is the only way to project the 2017 general election result to project from 2015, of course not.

I did think people might want to comment about the other parties.

Right. Well I was merely pointing out that your earlier posts were based on a misunderstanding. It's fine to try and portray a positive view of the Lib Dem performance where the evidence supports that, but not when it doesn't.

I can see that when referring to percentage vote share you can potentially draw out some slight positives there (although as I explained that needs to be with caution as by elections don't reflect national sentiment, and vary depending on the policital makeup and leaning of the particular areas up for election).

Your original premise I feel however was based on an (understandable) misunderstanding. You were saying the results were positive because the Lib Dems increased their number of seats. This was not true, as you were comparing the wrong figures, as the numbers you thought were total seats held were actually just seats they were defending at each election. The total number of councillor seats held by Lib Dems has been in quite serious decline for some time.