LF Advice on setting up as Consultant

Hi All,

I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I often get good advice on these forums so I thought I'd take a chance.

I am currently working for Call Centre and have been the manager there for just over a decade. I have around 16 years experience withing the industry and am really wanting to set up my own consultancy business.

I have a lot of knowledge to share (although I am always searching for more) and it's something that I am confident I can succeed in.

I have a proven track record as I have gained experience from working with internal outsourcing partners in the past. The fear I have is that these companies were already partnered with the company I currently work for - acquiring my own clients is a whole new ball game (and outside my expertise).

Does anyone have any advice on how to attract new business clients or any tips on how to get started building up connections? Anything would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

have you ever thought about these breakfast networking clubs?, I have joined the trades hub for sme in the construction trade.

I would suggest that you try taking a number of fixed term contracts. This will give you some exposure to a potential client base, and further increase your knowledge and range of experience.

I would suggest that you try taking a number of fixed term contracts. This will give you some exposure to a potential client base, and further increase your knowledge and range of experience.

I think that's good advice actually.

I set up my own consultancy 6 years ago. Not particularly by choice. But I was made redundant and had to find a way to generate my own income. It's very daunting, but if you have a network of companies/clients that you have done work for in the past and have a good reputation then that is a good starting point.

In my case I was fortunate to have worked for some of the biggest names in my industry. That is a real advantage.

I don't know about the call centre business but my impression of it isn't positive. Even big companies like BT outsource it to some Indian outfit in Bangalore, to a bloke named Dave, strangely. It doesn't sit well.

Do you really want to be in the call centre business? That's the first question I would ask you. It's usually done in 3rd world countries by people who are paid peanuts. Can you compete with that with your own business? What would be your business model?

I would start by taking an extra long look in the bathroom mirror tomorrow morning.

What is it, exactly, that you are really good at? Above and beyond most others in your field?

Will people be willing to pay you good money for that expertise because you have some special ability or knowledge that makes it attractive to them?

Have you got a special network of contacts that can help their business?

If the answer to these is "no" then go get it first - or you will struggle.

If the answer to these is "yes" then get on with it - without hesitation!