Sign in to follow this  

Have you rushed out for Harry Potter?

I've seen the movie and read one of the books, and I understand that it's a great story - but so were most of Roald Dahl's books! With the latest book becoming the fatest selling book of all time, and total Harry Potter book sales of over 200 million - just what is going on?!

In my opinion, the success of Harry Potter isn't really down the magical (;)) skills of Rowling, but is more likely thanks to advances in globalisation and the current hunger for hype, hype, hype.

Your views please... :)

Hype hype hype maybe true about the Harry Potter books but at least its got the kids reading books instead of watching telly or spending hours on the computer.

Originally posted by Jon

Hype hype hype maybe true about the Harry Potter books but at least its got the kids reading books instead of watching telly or spending hours on the computer.

That's a very fair point. I remember thinking when the first book came out: "Wait a minute - kids don't like reading!". However, I guess they do if it's considered "cool".

Originally posted by Jon

I'd be careful about saying "instead of watching telly or spending hours on the computer" and rather word it "aswell as watching telly or spending hours on the computer" ...

You see, I think that a lot of the kids who buy the book will also own the DVDs and Video games, etc... and probably spend hours on t'Internet discussing how great Harry Potter is.

I see your point though :) If only I could be bothered to pick up a book and get off this damn computer... :lol:

I think the length of the new book, combined with the fact that they will no doubt make a movie, means most people will wait to see the latter instead of read the former. If that makes sense ;)

Just one big hype as usuall, good film it may be but not down my street.

I own the other books up to the one just released out of pure curiosity really.

I am not a big reader, the only books I truly love and can read over and over is the Dune saga by Frank Herbert.

I like that these books have captured some imagination in children, and it did it before all the hype started.

Moon Maiden

Ordered my daughters about 3 months ago on Amazon, it was funny on Saturday am seeing the postman struggling with a big heavy bag full of 4 inch thick books.

PS the Post Office did a great job, getting them out on time.

Personally, tried to read one of the books, gave up after a couple of chapters, liked the films though.

Mikey the Muggle

Read the 1st one, put me right off. I understand they improve, but I am always deeply suspicious of mass enthusiasms, and this one is about as 'mass' as books gets.

Too many old books to read, let alone ones written recently

Do not know anything about the Harry Potter series of books, but I understand they are for young children, it has got be a good thing if the books are a good read for the youngsters.

It intriuged me to hear that J.K. Rowling would make £20.000.000 profit on this series alone, what a writer, what an imagination, how did she get that winning formula?

I have been in the wrong job all my life, why didn't someone TELL ME!!!

just for writing books. wow. :banana:

Originally posted by Phanerothyme Read the 1st one, put me right off. I understand they improve
I love them, so does my lad - and they've motivated him to read longer and more difficult material than he would tackle before - but whatever floats your boat.
...but I am always deeply suspicious of mass enthusiasms
Me too. Sometimes it's all hype ... but sometimes there is another reason for the enthusiasm. Rowling had difficulty getting a publisher because "kids don't read books" and some wanted her to make it more "politically correct" (she resisted). As I understand it the initial enthusiasm for book 1 came from the kids and rather took the publishers by surprise.
Too many old books to read...
True - and a lot of the classic kids stories we now only know from the dumbed down movie (or even Disney) versions, Wizard of Oz is a surprisingly good book - if you can find the full text version not a simple picture book. The Jack London books "The call of the Wild" and "White Fang" - stories of sledge dogs in the Yukon mostly written from the dog's perspective - that sounds like it's going to be complete garbage doesn't it? I thought so too but trust me on this one, give it a try, they're out of copyright and dead cheap especially in the bargain bookshops. Jack London was a migratory casual labourer and vagrant who, after a brief spell in jail decided to get his life together and got an education. OK you may hate them, fair enough.

What's your recommended good read?