Sign in to follow this  

Have you rushed out for Harry Potter?

For Children I would recommend Roald Dahl who wrote for all ages. They are quite grisly in parts, but kids love that (mostly).

As a 11-33 year old I have always read science fiction amongst everything else.

Harry Harrison is just fantastic, able to communicate ideas in a funny and knowing way - and his ability to insert a crowbar into head and prise open your thinking on some big topics like religion, authority, morality etc is second to none.

His books will certainly appeal to boys in the 13-17 age range - especially the 'Stainless Steel Rat' series of books; although even now I find them hilarious (if a little over familiar)

Any kid who likes The Hobbit is well advised to go on to Lord of the Rings, but to give the Silmarillion a miss (IMO) Tolkien is great and really doesn't contain any allegorical subtext, unlike C.S.Lewis, whose collection of books (prince caspian, the lion, the witch etc, voyage of the dawn treader and others) are explicitly Christian allegory that may not be immediately apparent to younger readers. That's not a criticism so much as an observation.

Pippi Longstockings (by Astrid Lindgren) is a wonderful read and not just because it is swedish. It contains nicely revolutionary ideas all wrapped up in a surreal story about a mad orphan of independent means (a big chest full of treasure), long red pigtails and an anarchic sense of humour. Unbeatable - although very aloof, sophisticated children might find it naive, the 'issues' tackled within are tackled sensitively and with great insight. But it is not didactic in any way at all.

For younger boys, 7-13 or so, the Willard Price 'Adventure' series are hard to beat. Each book is the story of Hal and Roger who go and collect animals and rescue one another and girls from fierce animals. It's a bit non-pc and not very environmentalist but the easy language, strong linear narratives and eye-popping excitement certainly enthralled me.

Er, I could go on. and on an on but I'll cut it short before you die of boredom.

The first HP book was entertaining enough I suppose, but the prose was very klunky, the plot devices could be spotted, even by 11 year olds, a mile off, and the 'puzzle ending' made it read like an educational text book (almost). And word did spread, and then it came out in an adult cover version when I finally read it, and then the publishers cottoned that they had a fully blown phenomenon on their hands and the gears ground into motion.

I have to agree on the Roald Dahl books they're amazing. I think that my favourite is The Twits. They are sprinkled with some of the most grotesque characters but so well written, they just can't fail with youngsters. Yes as a childrens writer he gets my vote every time.

:lol:

Ps did you realise that all his books have a flying element in them ,something to do with his fighter pilot days.

Well I've read all 4 and have really enjoyed them. It's quite easy to forget that they were written for kids to be honest and there are things slipped in for adult humour too. I think Rowling wrote them that way on purpose. I have bought the fifth book, however I am saving it for my summer holiday so I can just sit and read it by the pool without the interuptions I get in this country!

I think they are successful, because they appeal to all ages and they aren't patronizing, like some kids books are.

I also think they are so popular because they are a series following a group of kids growing up, you do actually want to know what will happen next and as they get older their characters change appropriately. They deal with many issues and slowly more is revealed as you go on and it starts to all come together, some of the story line is shocking and there are some very sad moments. I know that someone else dies in this book, but I have so far managed to avoid it and don't want to know until I read it. This makes it more realistic. Those who have read just the first one, you should try read the others if you have time, the story really does evolve. I personally liked the 3rd and 4th ones the best.

The films I didn't like because they were made for a young audience and didn't build on the characters like the books do. Kids might enjoy that, but I was annoyed with the choice of actors for some of the kids roles i.e. they can't act which ruined it for me, but probably not for kids. I have to keep blanking out the actors as I read and try to imagine what I thought they looked like and sounded like!!!

I used to read R. Dayl as a kid and loved them, but I think kids like the way you get to read more about the characters they love in the harry potter books. I also read LOTR as a kid, but I think some kids would maybe struggle with these. The hobbit is easy enough though.

I can't wait for the next two books where we will find out what finally happens in the saga! Full marks to Rowling, and good on her for making a lot of people happy, she deserves every penny she gets and she struggled for a long time before they published the first one.

Guest Ant

Yes, I agree it's hyped out of all proportion. But bear in mind when the first book was published over here it didn't shift the huge numbers the latter books in the series did. It was word of mouth due to the success of the book in America where it developed a cult readership.

I've read all five books, and though they're flawed in some areas, they go beyond being simply childrens books, and Roald Dahl couldn't hold a torch to JK's prose and humour when she's in full flow (the Weasleys ridding their garden of gnomes is a brilliantly written scene), and the books get much better, darker, and more mature with each release. The contrast between the opening chapters of Philosopher's Stone and the darker chapters of Phoenix is huge.

I'm a serious Potter fan, and I've never been swayed by hype. Lord of the Rings was a literary classic before the hype of the movies hit us, and the same is true of the Potter books. The hype has nothing to do with the quality of the books. After all, why would the publishers throw millions of pounds worth of publicity and promo in support of a set of dodgy children's book about pre-pubescent wizards? After all the hype has faded away, the kids will still be reading Potter in fifty years time. And if I'm alive, I've no doubt that I will be as well.

...don't be too concerned with the signature, Foxxx

Arghhh Harry Potter. Can't stand him! I don't see why grown adults can possibly be intruiged by this book, it's so daft! But as it has been mentioned, it does get kids reading, but not this kid!

Originally posted by caprice

Arghhh Harry Potter. Can't stand him! I don't see why grown adults can possibly be intruiged by this book, it's so daft! But as it has been mentioned, it does get kids reading, but not this kid!

Have you read them all???

I bought it for the 'better half', and she loves it! She's got all the others too and read em.

Doesn't interest me, I prefer Lord of the Rings.

Although I did enjoy the Harry Potter movies!

Have you read them all???

No I certainly have not. I thought the first 50 pages of the first book was cack and so I didn't waste anymore of my time.

MEOW... pulling no punches there Caprice!

Originally posted by Ant

...After all, why would the publishers throw millions of pounds worth of publicity and promo in support of a set of dodgy children's book about pre-pubescent wizards?

same reason record companies throw a large amount of money at a small number of bands, in order to maximise their profits. In this case they have succeeded beyond their most hopeful expectations.

If you hype something, then people will buy it, even if it is crud.

If you hype something of reasonable quality then people will buy and keep buying.

The real success story for me is Jean Rowling, who had to write on the bus because it was too cold at home. What I really hope is that it gets kids into writing more, as well as reading more (although fewer 8-11 year olds say they read for pleasure than 5 years ago). She's a superb role model and undoubtably a talented writer for children.

The first book, which I have read, I found to be frighfully moralistic, something that Roald Dahl has always dealt with much better, and more in tune with childrens actual instincts.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

The real success story for me is Jean Rowling, who had to write on the bus because it was too cold at home. What I really hope is that it gets kids into writing more, as well as reading more (although fewer 8-11 year olds say they read for pleasure than 5 years ago). She's a superb role model and undoubtably a talented writer for children.

I'll second that!

Originally posted by caprice

No I certainly have not. I thought the first 50 pages of the first book was cack and so I didn't waste anymore of my time.

well thats your choice, but 50 pages is hardly going to get you into the whole story, it's your loss!! :D

I'm not saying its the best story in the world, but I know many many adults that have enjoyed it, so Rowling must be doing something right! :D