Sign in to follow this  

How is Cod Liver Oil extracted?

Does anyone know how Cod Liver Oil is extracted? I have this image of a Cod's Liver being squeezed and the oil dripping into the pot, but that can't be right. Also, anyone know how many capsules you'd get from one cod?

Thats just what it is oil from the cods liver.

:cry: They put cod in fish farms and extract it from the poor fish inhumanly its so crewl

if only that were true. Cod is not farmed.

Cod will soon be extinct in our part of the world.

Cod used to be 6-8ft long mostly, now there are few left that age and all we catch are tiddlers.

The oil is probably pressed from the uncooked liver, or steam distilled out.

Same with Sunflower oil and Olive Oil

When you eat a sunflower seed or an olive they are pretty dry.

How many sunflower seeds does it take to make a bottle of oil?

about 3 times as many as would fit in a bottled (if they are shelled). Fresh sunflower seeds are very oily indeed. The ones in birdseed and hamster food are all ancient.

The health claims for sunflower oil are dubious because it is mostly extracted under high pressure steam, which immediately destroys the essential fatty acids vital to our diet.

This is why cold pressed virgin olive oil is so good for you, because the delicate EFAs are preserved so long as you keep it in the fridge (or they will oxidise and go rancid quickly). Anything other than cold pressed oil is as bad as butter (if not worse) for the diet, as it contains saturated and unsaturated fats, but none of the useful complex ones.

cold pressed hemp seed oil must be kept in dark bottles in the fridge and even then the oil will start to degrade after only 3-4 weeks, but this is due to the astoundingly high quantities of EFAs, much higher than most other seeds.

"Fats that Heal, Fats that Kil"l is an interesting read by Udo Erasmus. A bit on the 'self help' side of things, it is nevertheless a pretty scholarly work. Obviously Cod Liver Oil is a fat product, and is taken for both it's EFA complex and laxative properties (although paraffin works equally well for the latter).

First they said butter is bad for you, then they said cheap frying fat has killed more people than bullets, after that it was margarine that was a killer, furthermore we were advised to avoid drinking milk because of the high fat content.

Then they said it was better to eat soya margarine and drink soya milk, now it is not advisable to eat those foods because of the danger of contamination from genetically modified crops, who and what are we to beleive? :lol::lol::lol:

Halevan, who is this mysterious 'they' that must obeyed?

I would read around a little and come to your own conclusions.

As far as diet goes, I would say

1. reduce consumption of processed foods and ingredients (refined sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oils, hydrolised protein etc) as they offer little nutritional benefit.

2.Increase consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables.

3.Moderation in all things, especially red meat and saturated fats.

4.Inclusion of 'good' things is better than and easier than excluding 'bad' foods.

5.Eat what you like, like what you eat.

A lot of these food warnings are propagated by scientifically illiterate journalists who see a scientific paper 'Carcinogenic agents in cooked food' and write 'Cooked food kills' headlines and stories featuring 'boffins'. Risible.

P.R.M. "They, "are the so called "experts", who know a little about everything and a lot about nothing. I was not asking, I can use my own brains and I do, having studied nutrition, I can tell you what is good to eat and what is not.

No, I was merely commenting on what we read in newspapers, magazines etc. and how much the statements differ. The truth is that everyones body is different and each one is affected by diet in various ways, what one person can stand regarding saturated fats, would kill someone else.

Originally posted by "chill"

Does anyone know how Cod Liver Oil is extracted? I have this image of a Cod's Liver being squeezed and the oil dripping into the pot, but that can't be right.

Kind of floated out by hot water:

http://www.lofoten-info.no/nfmuseum/history/cod-fact.htm

The North Sea fisheries are just about done for (thanks to the European Community). However fish is about the only resource they have in Iceland (apart from lava and ice) so they are managing their fisheries on a sustainable basis and that's where we'll be getting most from now I expect.

http://www.icelandhealth.com/history.html

N.B. that is a manufacturer's web-site so there is a risk they may not be completely objective.

Also, anyone know how many capsules you'd get from one cod?
The fish vary a lot in size.

Originally posted by "robh"

Does anyone know how Cod Liver Oil is extracted? I have this image of a Cod's Liver being squeezed and the oil dripping into the pot, but that can't be right.

Kind of floated out by hot water:

http://www.lofoten-info.no/nfmuseum/history/cod-fact.htm

The North Sea fisheries are just about done for (thanks to the European Community). However fish is about the only resource they have in Iceland (apart from lava and ice) so they are managing their fisheries on a sustainable basis and that's where we'll be getting most from now I expect.

http://www.icelandhealth.com/history.html

N.B. that is a manufacturer's web-site so there is a risk they may not be completely objective.

Also, anyone know how many capsules you'd get from one cod?
The fish vary a lot in size.

I entirely agree about North Sea fishing. EU as screwed us again. Spanish and Portugease didn't do so bad though did they?

Originally posted by "robh"

The North Sea fisheries are just about done for (thanks to the European Community).

explain please? I thought that Most Spanish and Portugese Cod was actually caught by the norwegians (not an eu member) and the Icelanders (likewise) and imported.