Sign in to follow this  

Laptops/Notebooks Vs Desktop PCs

Laptops V Desktops  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Laptops V Desktops

• Laptops
    • Desktops

Only buy a laptop if mobility is essential (and if it is essential have you considered using a PDA to supplement the desktop):

They cost more to buy - I know you can get some inexpensive ones now but that's because you are ignoring the compromises you made on speed, memory, disk, video and audio subsystems. Yes some do well in one or more of those respects but look at the big picture. Price up a desktop of the identical specification and I bet it's half the price.

They have a higher "cost of ownership" - expensive spares and repairs, batteries cost £50-£200 and can need replacing after as little as a year. And there's that problem people found when they first started selling TVs with built in VCR - if TV OR VCR broke then the whole unit was broken so needed replacing repair. If my VCR is broken I can still use my separate TV while it's at the repair-shop.

They are more susceptible to damage - well you're carrying it around, much more likely to get banged or dropped than desktop. Spill coffee in your desktop keyboard - ten quid for a cheap replacement. Same with a laptop? Ouch!

They are much more susceptible to loss/theft - Ever been mugged walking down the street with your desktop? Ever left it on the bus? Can a thief hide a stolen desktop under a large coat? or run down the street with it? But in any case they sometimes have the status almost of a "fashion accessory" making them a more desirable theft.

You have to accept some compromises on usability - You get the mouse pointer interface they give you, people get used to them but there is a common dislike for touchpad, trackball, mini-joystick. You get a compromised keyboard, small, poorer key-feel. You get poorer screen - small (unusual to be as large as 15inch) no height adjustment, tilt but no swivel - unless you swivel the whole laptop - which doesn't count in my book. You pay a big premium to get a light-weight model - and then find it's light because they didn't include the weight of the external mains adapter which you will sometimes need to take with you. The most common complaint amongst corporate users is weight, give them a lighter model with a smaller screen and very few complain about the screen (and you still get a few grumbles about the weight).

Compromised upgrade path - becoming less of an issue with USB devices but for example, PCMCIA cards are usually substantially more expensive than the equivalent PCI card and some functions you would provide with PCI are hard or impossible to find implemented as PCMCIA. It can cost more than you planned. Lets suppose you already have let's say, a flatbed scanner with SCSI interface. You buy a laptop and there's nowhere to put the old PCI scsi card - so you need to buy a PCMCIA scsi card (£30+) - oops wrong connector - find a converter (£10?). Discover that scanner or card isn't supported under Windows XP, buy a new scanner with USB connection.

Misleading or misunderstood products - you can now buy laptops that don't have batteries at all, they are designed for people who always work where there is a mains supply but want to take their PC around with them. Make sure you don't get one of these if you plan to use it on the bus! Another trend is towards using processor chips designed for desktop computers. Those designed for laptops use less electrical power - with the effect of maximising the running time on battery power. As a result they dissipate less heat so don't need the massive heat-sinks and fans you find in a desktop. Try to buy a laptop with a mobile version of processor chip (higher cost for lower processing power though). Does it matter if the laptop gets a bit hot? This guy thought not, but I expect he has changed his view "Laptop burns boffin's penis" http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/22/1037697857595.html

Of course if someone else is paying none of this matters! (apart from the burnt penis bit!). And if your heart is set on a laptop, its an emotional decision - fair enough but at least you understand the compromises you're making and the hidden cost you're committing to.

On the security issue my employer's advice to laptop users includes thinking of it as a bundle of £10 notes and watch it constantly.

Originally posted by "robh"

This piece of crap desktop keeps crashing ... Yep - i cant wait for my laptop. :D
That could be something to do with the "quality" of Bill Gates' "great" software. You'll be running Linux on your laptop then?

No itll be windows XP cos thats whats most compatible with everything. Its not windows though its the computer i think its little fan isnt working and the insides are melting.

Originally posted by "robh"

Only buy a laptop if mobility is essential (and if it is essential have you considered using a PDA to supplement the desktop)...

That whole post was pretty much what I was going to type - so thanks for saving my fingers! :wink:

I was going to buy a laptop. I spent about 2 months choosing one, then finally had the phone in one hand, credit card in the other... asked when it would be delivered and changed my mind. £1600 seems a little pricey when I realised that I would never take it anywhere.

I've currently got a 6 year old PC and a Palm Vx PDA. Instead of spending £1600 on a laptop, I'm going to build a PC and buy a new PDA - and I'll probably end up only spending around £1000 then...

I have a brand new pentium four pc. but would have a laptop as well if I could afford it, as at the moment a new one would be too much to pay out on my level of income.

Tony Ruscoe there is one that comes on Auction world worth 1600 which goes for about £800.

I have the lot

Laptop - Work

Desktop home

Pocket PC - IPAQ

Laptop takes for ever to boot as its 98

Desktop is great XP

IPAQ is tops - switch it on instantly, MP3's, Word, Excel and synchs with Outlook

They dont call me gadget man for nothing you know

Originally posted by "The Cycleracer"

Tony Ruscoe there is one that comes on Auction world worth 1600 which goes for about £800.

Yeah, but probably not the one I want :wink: (I think I'm just way too fussy...)

Mind you, even then it would still fail on all the other points mentioned by robh. I'd still rather have a desktop unless I really needed the portability.