Home-made fruit curds

I've been making my own lemon curd for many years now - it's fairly quick, simple and inexpensive to make...and much, much nicer than shop-bought versions - even the all-butter lemon curds you can buy in posh, expensive delis and at trendy Farmers' Markets.

I'd never made any other sort of fruit curd though, until recently, on finding myself with a surfeit of fresh limes, I decided to experiment with making lime curd. It was absolutely delicious - not as sharp and zingy as my lemon curd, but with a lovely, delicate, aromatic, limey, buttery sort of flavour.

I'm now wondering about experimenting with other citrus fruit curds. Orange curd anyone? Grapefruit curd? Satsuma curd? And what about using "berry" type fruits -raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, blackberries, blackcurrants...etc, etc? Oooh.....the possibilities are endless!

Does anyone else out there make their own fruit curds? If so, please share your ideas with me.

I once had a lovely jar of ginger curd bought for me as a gift...it was fantastic! if anyone has the recipe I'd love to know how to make it!

Oooh! Ta for the idea Huxley! Much appreciated. Very timely too....

Ginger curd is something I never, ever thought of doing...but it just so happens that I have a big surfeit of fresh root ginger my fridge right now! Coincidence....or what?

I bought it last week - from one of those shop-front stalls, where they put all their fruit, veg etc in plastic bowls and you can have any bowl for a quid. I bought a bowl of ginger... and there was nearly a kilo of it!

I hate wasting stuff, but there was so damn much of it, that I was wondering how the hell I was going to use it all. Thanks to your suggestion, I now intend to have a go at making ginger curd over this coming weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on....... (gulp)!

:D

Best of luck with that...I'm sure you will love it!!!!

I made the ginger curd yesterday and although it's perfectly pleasant, I thought it turned out a bit bland, compared to the more zingy citrus fruit curds. I used tons of fresh ginger in it, but the gingery flavour was quite mild, whereas I was expecting it to be a bit hotter and more ...er...gingery!

I'm glad I did it, it was fun experimenting and it's certainly a bit different - but I think I'll stick to citrus fruits for my future fruit curd experiments.