New house owner

so we have finally been able to buy our council home but then I am really nervous about loosing the services of KIER . can anybody recommend any company who can do what kier does for a fee or is there an insurance scheme that will pay off when there is any work to be done on the house.

advice will be much appreciated

thank you

so we have finally been able to buy our council home but then I am really nervous about loosing the services of KIER . can anybody recommend any company who can do what kier does for a fee or is there an insurance scheme that will pay off when there is any work to be done on the house.

thank you

Well done.

I think this is a good life skill to learn to do yourself.

My advice is to stay on top of maintenance and any repairs, ideally before they become an issue.

When you go round cleaning each room be aware of what might need work (e.g. are any of the double glazing units blown - i seem to get one a year and it costs approx £20 for a replacement, can you hear anything odd (water leaks/drips, buzzing), seals needing replacement, lock/hinge lubrication, batteries).

Make sure you get your CH serviced regularly.

Don't ignore outside (e.g. painting, repointing, guttering, flat roofs, keeping drains clear).

Rather than pay someone to do all this for you why not save that money each month and then set it aside for when things are needed? If you were to save £200 per month then you'd soon have enough to deal with the big and small stuff.

Be proactive. If you can and want to do some stuff yourself. There are plenty of videos on youtube.

Be firm but polite and respectful with trades people you need. Develop a relationship with them so that if you do have an emergency then they're prepared to help you. I generally get the best results when I treat someone how i like to be treated. I always make sure I've got a gas CH person, plumber and property maintainer on hand.

Hope this helps.

Don't be daunted by this but treat it as an opportunity to learn.

Good home and contents insurance is key. Legal cover can be added on and gives that extra layer of protection. Home emergency cover may also be useful for things like plumbing/drains etc. Definitely have your central heating on a maintenance plan such as the ones that British Gas and Homeserve provide. These companies also sell emergency cover so you could get everything on the one policy. Other than that, as has been said, be proactive - check your drains, roof etc regularly and get any problems dealt with promptly.

Edited by Jomie

thank you

Kier :hihi::hihi: I wouldn't let them repair a dog kennel

thank you

I am buying my council house, they came to value it yesterday, just waiting for that big number now.

Did your sale go through ok?

I would just try to get some recommendations before things go wrong, not a believer in insurance myself.

thank you

Kier is a large company. Large companies often charge large fees, esp. for individual jobs (as they lose their economies of scale).

Kier :hihi::hihi: I wouldn't let them repair a dog kennel

Oi you, don't be so insulting my Daughter works for Kier.

---------- Post added 28-01-2017 at 15:51 ----------

I am buying my council house, they came to value it yesterday, just waiting for that big number now.

Did your sale go through ok?

I would just try to get some recommendations before things go wrong, not a believer in insurance myself.

If you have a mortgage your mortgager will insist on insurance, they usually fix it up for the first year but you can change companies after that.

If you have a mortgage your mortgager** will insist on insurance, they usually fix it up for the first year but you can change companies after that.

** 'mortgagee'.

Mortgagors (borrowers) have freedom to arrange their own property insurance (compliant with mortgagees' requirements) if the property is freehold. However, that's true for leasehold houses only if:

a. they also comply with what the lease says; or

b. they use the 'escape' mechanism- see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/15/section/164).

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw