What is Westfield like?

What's westfield like? Viewed a really nice house in meadowcroft gardens but I know nothing of the area.

Stay away, lots of unemployment, drug abuse, street crime and generally a run down, mainly sprawling 70/80's council estate. There are far better places to live in S20

Absolute hole of a place.Avoid !

What's westfield like? Viewed a really nice house in meadowcroft gardens but I know nothing of the area.

Ensure that it's freehold. Much of S20 comprises underleasehold houses, with attendant problems re saleability/mortgageability.

Ensure that it's freehold. Much of S20 comprises underleasehold houses, with attendant problems re saleability/mortgageability.

I'll second that ... 4 bed detached at the bottom of Galley Drive, offers around 140k on Rightmove. That has to be leasehold issues?

I was told under 67 years left on the leasehold and getting a mortgage is a big problem.

I've never understood, why on earth don't people buy the freehold.

One has statutory rights to enfranchise [= purchase the freehold reversion + and intermediate leasehold reversion(s)] only after owning for at least two years: Leasehold Reform Act 1967.

Much, or maybe all, of the S20 developments' freehold reversionary estate is now owned by Coppen (Estates) Limited.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
Correcting Act's name

One has statutory rights to enfranchise [= purchase the freehold reversion + and intermediate leasehold reversion(s)] only after owning for at least two years: Leasehold Reversion Act 1967.

Much, or maybe all, of the S20 developments' freehold reversionary estate is now owned by Coppen (Estates) Limited.

When I bought mine it was owned by St Giles Properties, somewhere in the north east. They were a nightmare to deal with. I considered 4.5k excessive but what do you do, pay it and unload them, good riddance.

I'll second that ... 4 bed detached at the bottom of Galley Drive, offers around 140k on Rightmove. That has to be leasehold issues?

I was told under 67 years left on the leasehold and getting a mortgage is a big problem.

I think that price is about right forgetting about leasehold or freehold. Not far from the Hawk and Dove and right next to a busy main road. I once lived just down the road from that and had lots of problems.

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 11:24 ----------

When I bought mine it was owned by St Giles Properties, somewhere in the north east. They were a nightmare to deal with. I considered 4.5k excessive but what do you do, pay it and unload them, good riddance.

Buying mine now. 3 bed detached at Halfway (Drabble / Barratt). Costing me £2.5k for freehold plus legal costs, taking an age though. Owners appear to be William Drabble and sons trust.

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 11:25 ----------

Do you mean to buy or rent?

I think some companies try and stonewall people as much as possible to dissuade people from completing the process.

I think some companies try and stonewall people as much as possible to dissuade people from completing the process.

Once T serves a Notice of Claim, L has no real grounds to object.

T's rights can be enforced by First Tier Tribunal proceedings.