Anybody worked here?

Anybody work or had dealings at or with the following companies? Dates are approximate give a year or two lol! Between 1969 - 75

1. Davy's - Fargate - food 1969

2. Roberts and Belk - Furnival Street - silver 1970

3. Davison's - West Street - silver - 1971

4. Wigfall's - most warehouses - tellies, washing machines etc. 1971 - 72

5. British Steel Tubes division - Rutland Road - near Forest pub 1972

6. Brightside and Carbrook - Fretson Road / Fairleigh - butchers 1972

7. Neville Watts - Fitzwilliam Street - ironmongers 1972

8. Globe and Simpson - West Street - car spares 1973

9. Waring and Gillow (Proctors) - Fargate - furniture 1974

10. Farm - opposite Old Harrow - White Lane 1975

11. Francis Colley - Garden Street - safety clothing 1973

Hi zakes,I worked at Globes from 1970-74

Anybody work or had dealings at or with the following companies? Dates are approximate give a year or two lol! Between 1969 - 75

1. Davy's - Fargate - food 1969

2. Roberts and Belk - Furnival Street - silver 1970

3. Davison's - West Street - silver - 1971

4. Wigfall's - most warehouses - tellies, washing machines etc. 1971 - 72

5. British Steel Tubes division - Rutland Road - near Forest pub 1972

6. Brightside and Carbrook - Fretson Road / Fairleigh - butchers 1972

7. Neville Watts - Fitzwilliam Street - ironmongers 1972

8. Globe and Simpson - West Street - car spares 1973

9. Waring and Gillow (Proctors) - Fargate - furniture 1974

10. Farm - opposite Old Harrow - White Lane 1975

11. Francis Colley - Garden Street - safety clothing 1973

None of the above for me but some in-law family members of mine owned Globe & Simpson.

reads like my resume after leaving the army but 11jobs in 4 yrs i think u got me beat

Hi zakes, I worked at Neville Watts for 2yrs '66-'68. I remember boss man Outram, Mrs Straw and big lanky Reg. Any of them still there when you worked there?

Hi Zakes.C.H.Preston on Woodburn Road had a four - wheeler working out of BSC Tubes in the late 60s.It was still known as Stewart and Lloyds when I worked for Prestons in 68/69.Can't think of the regular driver's name but it was a cushy number apparantly.

Chris.

no i did'nt work at any of them thank you. lol. what about j billam eldon street?

no i did'nt work at any of them thank you. lol. what about j billam eldon street?

I worked at billam's early sixties,sure i know who you are rustybum did you live off grimesthorpe rd.:huh:

NEVILLE WATTS

Hey up five005,

When I was at Neville Watts in the early 70's the staff were as follows:-

Mr Vernon Outram, the boss who lived at Froggatt in Derbyshire. Mr Greaves was wages manager among other things, John Hill was under manager (assistant manager in todays speak), in the office were Mrs Lunn, Mrs Banks, Mrs Anderson, Mrs Ros Hill (John's wife), Christine Booth (lovely long dark hair and gorgeous legs, used to love watching her climb the spiral staircase), and Julie who later replaced Christine. In the shop were Mrs Jessie Straw who was very popular, Kevin Connelly. Another person in the shop was Chris Taylor who was a musician (?). When any customer he didn't like left the shop and were out of earshot he would call them a 'hairy arsed faggot' male or female. Chris was a good laugh. Mr (Phil?) Beard was a rep for the company, another rep was a man called Frank who had a torch or dilly shaped object he pressed to his throat so he could speak, and he sounded somewhat Dalekesque. Mrs Lunn's husband Tom was the shop's van driver responsible for deliveries in the area. We were all very saddened when Tom passed away, he was a most genuine man. After all these years I still remember the tune he used to whistle ever so lightly (nobody seems to whistle these days). Some dinner times Tom and I would play at darts on the top floor in the rest room. When we sent heavy parcels to far away places they would be transported by BRS (green vans) or by B.R. (yellow lorries) and the usual B.R. driver was Les Cotton who was ginger haired with tinges of grey and he sported a thick looking moustache that were popular at that time. One other person worth (or not) mentioning was a regular customer who used to park over the road to the right his vehicle on the king sized asphalt car park which had rusted broken down fencing which is now Devonshire Green was Mr. Patnick. When he approached the shop I would hide in the back because when he came in he would tell jokes and when he got to the punch line he would start to laugh and look into peoples eyes forcing them to giggle in a false way. I couldn't abide him and that damned light purple coloured denim shirt he always wore with sweat stains under the arms.

Can understand most of the companies but how did the farm opposite my old local the Old Harrow come into the equation!!??

NEVILLE WATTS (completed)

Hey up five005,

When I was at Neville Watts in the early 70's the staff were as follows:-

Mr Vernon Outram, the boss who lived at Froggatt in Derbyshire. Mr Greaves was wages manager among other things, John Hill was under manager (assistant manager in todays speak), in the office were Mrs Lunn, Mrs Banks, Mrs Anderson, Mrs Ros Hill (John's wife), Christine Booth (lovely long dark hair and gorgeous legs, used to love watching her climb the spiral staircase), and Julie who later replaced Christine. In the shop were Mrs Jessie Straw who was very popular, Kevin Connelly. Another person in the shop was Chris Taylor who was a musician (?). When any customer he didn't like left the shop and were out of earshot he would call them a 'hairy arsed faggot' male or female. Chris was a good laugh. Mr (Phil?) Beard was a rep for the company, another rep was a man called Frank who had a torch or dilly shaped object he pressed to his throat so he could speak, and he sounded somewhat Dalekesque. Mrs Lunn's husband Tom was the shop's van driver responsible for deliveries in the area. We were all very saddened when Tom passed away, he was a most genuine man. After all these years I still remember the tune he used to whistle ever so lightly (nobody seems to whistle these days). Some dinner times Tom and I would play at darts on the top floor in the rest room. When we sent heavy parcels to far away places they would be transported by BRS (green vans) or by B.R. (yellow lorries) and the usual B.R. driver was Les Cotton who was ginger haired with tinges of grey and he sported a thick looking moustache that were popular at that time. One other person worth (or not) mentioning was a regular customer who used to park over the road to the right his vehicle on the king sized asphalt car park which had rusted broken down fencing which is now Devonshire Green was Mr. Patnick. When he approached the shop I would hide in the back because when he came in he would tell jokes and when he got to the punch line he would start to laugh and look into peoples eyes forcing them to giggle in a false way. I couldn't abide him and that damned light purple coloured denim shirt he always wore with sweat stains under the arms.

I was employed as warehouseman, storeman responsible for deliveries, packing, unpacking, filling shelves and filling canisters, bottles and the other vessels with paraffin that was stored in the back yard, the toilets were also in the back yard (no joke in winter). Carrying dozens of door closers to the first floor was heavy work as was carrying weighty boxes of nails and screws of various sizes whether plain, galvanised or black japanned to the cellar. We had our nails delivered from Youngs wire on Green Lane (?). I also went to Harald's Locksmiths on Division Street to take and or collect keys and locks for repair. We also had dealings with Parkes, C.N.S. and G.K.N. in the midlands. Another part of my job was to write to customers informing them that their goods had arrived. Here is an example:-

Dear Sir or Madam,

The six rose design porcelain escutcheons you ordered are now to hand and await your collection.

Yours sincerely,

Zakes

It could quite easily have been acrylic or aluminium kicking plates, keys, picture hangers, mortise locks, etc.

On Friday's Mr Greaves would do his rounds dishing out the wage packets personally to each employee and when he got to me he would pass me my brown enveloped wages (circa 6.50 pounds) and with a glint in his eyes would ask ''are you sure you deserve your pay this week?'' and then his lips would slowly twitch with mirth. Mr Greaves' children Anne, Christine, Alan and Michael had formed a group called the Steeler's and they appeared on Hughie Green's Opportunity Knocks t.v. programme. A few days after their performance Mr Greaves gave me a pile of at least 57 postcards with the request (order) that I fill them out with a false name each time because they were to be sent to be used as votes for his children to win Opportunity Knocks. They came in second I think.

My last job of the day was to hang the two heavy wrought iron gates onto the posts directly outside the shop door (to prevent people from tiddling, puking or having it off in the doorway in the evenings). I enjoyed my 1 year and 1 week at Neville Watts Ironmongers and it was the only job I have ever had where i've been called into the boss's office to be told that I am to receive a payrise (extra 10 bob per week). Being called to the office usually meant ''here's your cards lad, on yer bike''. When I left and went to Globe and Simpson on West Street I had been tempted to go into Dundee Works on Eldon Street to ask for a job at J. Billam but changed my mind which turned out to be a wise decision. (Had to get the (silver) knife in there). Lol!

P.S's 1. Sorry, no sign of big lanky Reg!

2. B.R.S. - British Road Service

3. B.R. - British Rail.

My brother-in-law Mal Jackson worked at Globe and Simpson round about that date