Drake House, Beighton

Yes - I know that it was in Derbyshire!

Does anyone know if there was a farm at Drake House?

Were there any other buildings in that hamlet?

Does anyone know where any old photos of this place may be on line?

Chyanteg

Try White's 1857 Directory of Derbyshire, page 688. It lists a George Johnson and John Jubb as Farmers at Drake House. It seems that there was a farm. I used to live in the area as a child and can recall the name Drake House Farm but not much more...sorry but good luck with your quest.

Yes - I know that it was in Derbyshire!

Does anyone know if there was a farm at Drake House?

Were there any other buildings in that hamlet?

Does anyone know where any old photos of this place may be on line?

Chyanteg

Yes there was a farm and its name was Chiwali Farm it was demolished when Crystal Peaks was built remember it well

a lad who went to school with me called robert fox used to live at the farm on drakehouse lane.

a lad who went to school with me called robert fox used to live at the farm on drakehouse lane.

Yes that was right but in the fist part of the seventies my parents lived at the farm till it was demolished, I also lived there fo a short time

Yes that was right but in the fist part of the seventies my parents lived at the farm till it was demolished, I also lived there fo a short time

i left beighton in 68 and came back in 88 so i missed you .

i left beighton in 68 and came back in 88 so i missed you .

alex I an not part of the Fox familly the farm was purchesd from the Fox family under a compulsory purchace order fo future devolopment, then because of the plans bieng delayed it was put back on the market on a short lease in the early 70's untill it was finally demolished

The farm continued to be worked and my parents also took in rescue animals including Donkeys, Geese, Ducks and Chickings etc

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query. I loved the old photos of Drakehouse - I just remember the area before Pistol Creeks was built. I moved over to Hackenthorpe during the Miners' Strike.

I am now trying to find out where Carter's Yard was - probably long gone as I am talking 1900 here?

Chyanteg.

My memories of Drake House Lane are back in the early 60's.

From the School walking down towards Beighton, just over the brow of the hill I remember a row of cottages set back from the road and a little further down was a Bungalow with some large solid steel gates at the front it said Lyngs or lings on the gates. At the side was a wood full of crab apple trees. We called it Lings /Lyngs wood. It was almost impossible to get in for the nettles. But with a big stick and some frantic thrashing it was possible. We used to play for ages in there eating the apples :-( & climbing trees, until the old guy in the bungalow told us to "Bugger Off".

A bit further down was a large house where I think one of the Doctors from Hackenthorpe used to Live. The next buildings after that were the row of houses where Howard (Wyer) used to live.

I find it hard to believe now that my mother let me walk from our house on Delves Avenue all the way to Southall, to go to Beighton Cub Scouts every week, on my own. I must have only been 8 / 10 years old.

Hi Chyantag

I am now trying to find out where Carter's Yard was - probably long gone as I am talking 1900 here?

Carters Yard was off High Street.

The layout now is The Long House(was Grange Farm) then the bungalow which is Bernie Nuttalls the dentist. Then there is a house which has just been painted green and the rear of this was Carters Yard. The sign has only been removed in the last couple of years it was on the side of the house. I do hope they will replace it.

The house used to be Williams shop and before that it had been Saddler Banks shop.

Tuppie

My memories of Drake House Lane are back in the early 60's.

From the School walking down towards Beighton, just over the brow of the hill I remember a row of cottages set back from the road and a little further down was a Bungalow with some large solid steel gates at the front it said Lyngs or lings on the gates. At the side was a wood full of crab apple trees. We called it Lings /Lyngs wood. It was almost impossible to get in for the nettles. But with a big stick and some frantic thrashing it was possible. We used to play for ages in there eating the apples :-( & climbing trees, until the old guy in the bungalow told us to "Bugger Off".

A bit further down was a large house where I think one of the Doctors from Hackenthorpe used to Live. The next buildings after that were the row of houses where Howard (Wyer) used to live.

I find it hard to believe now that my mother let me walk from our house on Delves Avenue all the way to Southall, to go to Beighton Cub Scouts every week, on my own. I must have only been 8 / 10 years old.

Hi Lostrider,

Your comment with regards to the Cub Scouts at Beighton at the age you say I also walked from Delves Drive to Southall past the chip Shop to the Church Hall were as Cubs Scouts we used to meet.

After the session we would go to the chippy for cake and chips and the ocasional pickled onion and walk up Drakehouse lane to Carter Lodge School or the button Factory lane just past the Co. Op and to down Delves Estate

What year did you go to the Cub Scouts