Kayser Ellison steel works

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the Kayser Ellison steel works? My great great grandad (John Thomas Belk) worked there and I was wondering if anyone knew when it first opened and when it closed? Also does anyone have any pictures of it by any chance because theres only one on picturesheffield. Cheers :)

I lived on Beall St which was adjacent to the entry to the works. The place stretched from Bodmin St, where the office entrance was, down to Worksop Rd - about three blocks - just before the ackerdock (aqueduct). If you went to the Shirland Lane bridge you could see that it had it's own 'dock' on the canal which was not in use during the late 50's/early 60's when I lived there. There was always a line of parked cars on Chippingham St during work days which was a source of 'entertainment' for us lads since not many people who lived in the area could afford one. Cheers

both my dad and grandad worked at kaysers for a number of years they used to work the three shifts and depending what shift they were on would call in the aqueduct club for a pint

They appear in Kellys Directory of 1893 at Carlisle Works Carlisle Street but there is no entry for the firm in Whites directory of 1879. The firm became Sanderson Kayser Ltd in 1960 when it merged with Sanderson & Newbould. Kayser Ellison works were on Carlisle Street (see Old Ordnance Survey maps - Sheffield (Darnall) 1903).

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has found an entry in any of the directories in the Local Studies Library between 1879 and 1893 as an ancestor worked there at the start of the twentieth century.

I remember going to their offices on Carlisle St. They had a wonderful display case with some of their products on display. I often wonder what happened to all the firms displays when they closed down.

Some of the works down Carlisle st had some wonderful reception areas and a rather terrifying Corps of Commissionaires chap putting the frighteners on us young lads.

I went for my interview in Carlise St, but worked at the firm in Darnell. I worked for a couple of years, used to do temp work on the switchboard, and do copy typing of invoices. Worked with some nice people. I think it was in the late 60's early 70's not sure, time flies by when you get older. Would like to hear from someone around that time maybe we worked together.

My dad worked at Sanderson Kaisers on carlisle st in 70s.

He got made redundant in the thatcher years. He always says it was the best job he ever had at kaisers.

hi tara

i would probably know your dad as i worked at kayser ellison on carlisle street from 1969 until they closed it down when we merged with sanderson and newbould and moved us down to their place on newhall road. i worked for them for over 30 years but unfortunately they do not exist anymore. most of us were on piecework and it was hard graft but we had some good fun and made some good mates.

Sent you pm motty.

tara

sent you a message but your box is full...Lucky you.If you free up space you will get it..Treasured memories make way for some scandal

sent you a message but your box is full...Lucky you.If you free up space you will get it..Treasured memories make way for some scandal

I've only just seen this. I did receive the PM but I just guessed it was a mistake and not for me, so I didn't reply. It makes sense now I've read this though - sorry about that!

Thank you for the information you gave in the PM. :thumbsup:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the Kayser Ellison steel works? My great great grandad (John Thomas Belk) worked there and I was wondering if anyone knew when it first opened and when it closed? Also does anyone have any pictures of it by any chance because theres only one on picturesheffield. Cheers :)

I find this rather strange, my father Ernest Belk who died in 1984 aged 82yrs worked for many years at Kayser Ellison even when they became Sanderson and Newbold.