Petrol Stations In the 70's

Anyone with a good memory, remember when you use to drive into a petrol station in the 70's and an attendant would fill the tank for you ?

I remember the first car I had....it was a 1965 Ford Anglia 105E and use to run on 2 star petrol, I would go to the petrol station on Queens Road and get about 4 gallon of 2 star petrol for a 10/- note.

I stand to be corrected on this but I think the road tax then, use to be about £15 for the year..................look at the price of petrol and road tax now.......frightening !!

On the A6 heading in to Matlock there's still a little petrol station where the attendant fills you up, it's cash only too. !

Are very fond memories of all of that, I had my first car when IO could drive LEGALLY at the age of 17 - in mid 1957. My father had 2 petrol stations and new and used car sales. I have lived in Malaysia foe a few years, and current costs are in UK Pounds - petrol 1-35 gallon (never altered in the last 7 years), road tax depends on car type. Small like Ford Fiesta tax and ins 125-00, my Mercedes S280 is 375-00 for tax and insurance. Generally costs are 20% of uk costs. Every day I eat breakfast out - cost 0-40p for fresh orange, coffee and a large meal. most people east out with their children - cheaper than cooking at home. No heating costs, just elec for air conditioning which is about 8-00 per month. No seasons - just summer 365 days - today Dec 4th - at 9-15am temp was 94 degrees and climbing. Uk basic pension allows people to live here very well and with state of the art medical services - and we have uniformed staff serving petrol

Want more information - please ask - Regards - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, Malaysia

I used to work at Stamps Service Station on Greenland Road....about 1960 this would be. Somewhere I have photos of me standing by a pump, in uniform, ready to serve and showing Mobil Special 4/11 a gallon.I remember gallon cans of Castrol XL were 14/6 and a shot of Redex for a penny.

We went to Singapore in 63 and petrol (Benzine) was about half the price it was in the UK....are Mercedes still the favourite vehicle for Taxis:?:

Re Singapore - taxis are mainly Toyota, a lot are the Toyota Crown Sedan. I drive down there from Kuala Lumpur every 4 to 5 weeesk to my Singapore office.

Takes me about 4.1/4 hours to the centre of Singapore island. Flying is only 25 mins and about UK Pounds 20-00, but by express coach it is equivalent to UK Pounds 5-00. Flight about every 20 minutes from most Malaysian airports. We use internal flights like some countries use buses. Petrol, like most things in Singapore is much more expensive than in Malaysia. In 2010 Malaysian government stopped people coming over from Singapore, or over the border from Thailand for cheaper petrol and diesel and staple foods such as cooking oil,, chicken, rice and many others. these are all government subsidised in Malaysia. For petrol/diesel, a foreign registerd car can only buy 4 gallons and that must be the highest cost fuel.

Hope you find this informative - Best Wishes - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

I remember when we had six petrol stations in Handsworth. Coming up from Darnall there was the Mobil station just over the bridge beside the White Rose, then up past the Norfolk there was the Jet station, which is the A57 Testing Station, just opposite was the Esso station, which is now a car wash, further along on the same side was Yardys garage then further along where the Indian Resturant is was a Regent station, which is another car wash, then at the junction of Retford Rd. and Beaverhill Rd. was another Regent station. There was also Handsworth Motor Co. but that closed down in the early 60's I think, I didn't start driving until 1965.

I used to stop off for a fill up at the garage in Nethergreen. Esso Regular was 4/7d, esso extra was 4/10 and esso golden was 5/-. I used to put esso golden in with a shot of redex per gallon thinking this would make my minor 1000 go faster. The ignorance of youth. The car used to belong to the Sheffield CID and had 134,000 on the clock when I bought it for £175. It did me for another 28,000 miles.

Anyone with a good memory, remember when you use to drive into a petrol station in the 70's and an attendant would fill the tank for you ?

I remember the first car I had....it was a 1965 Ford Anglia 105E and use to run on 2 star petrol, I would go to the petrol station on Queens Road and get about 4 gallon of 2 star petrol for a 10/- note.

I stand to be corrected on this but I think the road tax then, use to be about £15 for the year..................look at the price of petrol and road tax now.......frightening !!

How did the petrol price and road tax compare to your wage then and what's the comparison now?

Did that little dial on the side of the pumps really change which "star" petrol you were getting

My grandparents had a petrol station over in East Yorks. I used to work there in the holidays serving petrol. When they sold up in the '90s they still had a petrol pump attendant service. Non-locals used to be quite surprised when the attendant trotted out to greet them.

My parents had two garages,both with petrol pumps,Owlerton green garage and Carmyles on penistone road.Both myself and my elder brother would serve petrol on a saturday.Can't recall the price back in the 60s but do remember the needle dial......and the smell.

Such a cushy holiday job, I was quids in! There was a lot of paper reading and crisp eating (from the petrol station shop) going on between fill-ups.