Newspaper sellers on Sheffield streets

There have been some interesting newspaper sellers over the years. Does anyone remember any of them? There was a husband and wife team always outside the Town Hall?

There used to be a chap selling the Green'un outside the pub at Lane Top. The Green'un was produced very quickly, if I remember, they were on sale about 7.00 pm. every Saturday.

I worked in street sales at the Sheffield Star for a couple of years (78-80). Denise (short hair) had the best pitch which was outside the Star on high street. Nellie and Lillian Morley were sisters and I think had pitches on Fargate. Rita was on the moor just down from where McDonald's is now. Her dad also helped out as did her daughters. There was also the Farrell family, Bernard, Bob the Con Man, Harry Greenwood, Mrs Mobley, Rene who stood in Fitzalan Square and a number of others...entertaining times

There used to be a chap selling the Green'un outside the pub at Lane Top. The Green'un was produced very quickly, if I remember, they were on sale about 7.00 pm. every Saturday.

I think they used to hit the town streets shortly after 5.30 and would be in the suburbs 6.00-6.30

Who remembers the old lady who always wore a black hat and black clothes who stood at the corner of Commercial St and Haymarket for at least 20yrs,her name was Mrs Colley and she lived on Shirecliffe.

Only one that comes to mind was a man selling Newspapers outside the Star in 1965, he only had one leg. I was crossing the road approaching where he was stood, and my middle child who was only 2 pointed. Well I knew exactly what was about to come out of his mouth, trouble is I had a baby in my arms. He said " Look that man has no two legs" I was so embarrassed, but the man just laughed. Kids eh?:roll:

Don't know where they sold papers but they lived next door to me on Heather Road in the 70's. Their name was Pass.

I worked in street sales at the Sheffield Star for a couple of years (78-80). Denise (short hair) had the best pitch which was outside the Star on high street. Nellie and Lillian Morley were sisters and I think had pitches on Fargate. Rita was on the moor just down from where McDonald's is now. Her dad also helped out as did her daughters. There was also the Farrell family, Bernard, Bob the Con Man, Harry Greenwood, Mrs Mobley, Rene who stood in Fitzalan Square and a number of others...entertaining times[/quote there was gerry roberts soldstar and green un outside brown bayleys and the bath corneron attercliffe

Clarkey stood outside the Newmarket on the corner of Broad st./Sheaf St.

Mrs Lee stood outside of C&A

"Dummy" stood at Fitzalan Sq./Marples

And i seem to remember Big Fred...? standing outside Yorkshire Bank Haymarket.

I think she's been mentioned before on another thread wayback. She used to sell the 'Star' and 'Green 'Un' outside the Lady's Bridge Hotel. She had a distinctive way of calling 'final', like 'finuuuuuul', dipping and rising the 'ul' part. Same with the 'Green Uuuuuuuun'. Don't know her name.

Don't know where they sold papers but they lived next door to me on Heather Road in the 70's. Their name was Pass.

That was Reneee who stood outside the post office (fitzalan sq down to pond st). I think her husband was Arnold