Price of a pint

Can't be specific about stones

In the 'Wop' in sheffield 16p a pint a bitter in 1972-3

In our local it was about 14p

In working men's clubs in Durham in 1975 we used to ask for pint of mixed I remember being surprised at how much cheap it was than in a sheff pub.

two bitters were on offer 12p a pint for one and 14p a pint for the other 13p for the mixed.

Guessing it would be a little less between the dates you mention but not much, big brewery and tax man price hikes didn't start till a good few years after that.

Found this:

In 1952 the average weekly wage was £7.50 compared to £500 now. A pint of beer then cost 9 pence compared to £2.60 now so it took you twice as long to earn the price of a pint… - See more at: http://www.beergenie.co.uk/beer-occasions/jubilee-history/?age-verified=44ff307055#sthash.eHeujZW0.dpuf

http://www.beergenie.co.uk/beer-occasions/jubilee-history/?age-verified=44ff307055

Agree with those prices. If we were short of money we would go in the tap room for a pint of Tetleys at 13p a pint. In the lounge it was 15p.

If a pint costs £3.00 now then that's approx 20 times the cost in the early 1970's. I was earning £16.00 per week in those days which equates to £320.00 today. I earn more now but somehow feel I was better off in the 1970's in more ways than one.

In November 1976 a pint of Stones at Mulberry tavern cost 27p and was considered to be dearest in town.

In 1975 the price of a pint of stones was 16p then it went up drastically the following year to 24p a pint.

I remember everyone being in shock with such a big rise.

In 1975 the price of a pint of stones was 16p then it went up drastically the following year to 24p a pint.

I remember everyone being in shock with such a big rise.

That was probably why I stopped drinking Stones until one dinnertime when I was sat in the top room at The Dial with my dad and someone asked what we were drinking. When we told him it wasn't Stones he bought us a pint of Stones each and then another. He was a rep. for Stones and got us drinking Stones again.

I remember a pint of Stones being 1/9d a pint in 1966-ish or was it Bass Charrington's at that time? The same price as a Packet of 10 No.6 cigs. and a cheep fish supper on the way home for a couple of bob!. (brill)

Edited by yorky15

I remember a pint of Stones being 1/9d a pint in 1966-ish or was it Bass Charrington's at that time? The same price as a Packet of 10 No.6 cigs. and a cheep fish supper on the way home. (brill)

Still Stones in them days. The other thing I remember is all the pints around town were pretty much on a par for price except Whitbread/Tennants which was always a few pence more.

A pint a packet of fags and a fish supper these days would set you back about £12.

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 20:36 ----------

I have an advert from about 1890 when regular session beer was around 1/- per gallon.

Still Stones in them days. The other thing I remember is all the pints around town were pretty much on a par for price except Whitbread/Tennants which was always a few pence more.

A pint a packet of fags and a fish supper these days would set you back about £12.

When did Bass take Stones over?

when did bass take stones over?
1968..:)..

I always found it a bit strange that beer was a penny more expensive in the lounge than the tap room!

1967,my first job in a bar,the Fox and Duck,Broomhill,Stones was 1/10 tap room and 2/- best room.

I don't do foreign money,you work it out!

They also had another beer at 2d dearer,can't recall the name.

Could the dearer beer have been Red Barrel ?

Could the dearer beer have been Red Barrel ?

Each brewery seemed to sell their bitter and then another keg beer. Tetleys sold Double Diamond, Whitbread sold their Tankard (the beer that excels) John Smiths had Courage Tavern. Can't remember Stones or Wards.

Whitbread ran an TV advert for their beer, could have been Trophy or Tankard and I am sure it was filmed at the White Swan in Greenhill village. Any one remember.