Wine bar on Cambridge street 1970's

Did you mean the one towards the corner of Charles Street & Cambrifge Street i.e Faces although I think that was more early 80's

Not getting excited. In which post did you admit your mistake?

O.K.I formally apologise for putting false information on the Sheffield forum.

Had my 21 birthday at faces 1977 disco downstairs wine bar upstairs Henry's was early 80s

it wasn't a wie bar when I used to go in the 60s it was then called the barleycorn frequented by ladies of the night and market traders went there at 5.30 after trading lots of fun and banter in there with the odd punch up

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 15:08 ----------

Can anybody remember the name of the wine bar that was on cambridge street near the top end ? in the 1970's

it was on the corner of cambridge street at the bottom and it was called the barleycorn, the one at the top was the albert frequented by students with a hefty ug of cannabis in the air.

going back to the barleycorn there's one fact that most people don't know is that a barleycorn was used to measure shoe sizes I am size 9 but don't know how many barleycorns I would take to get to size nine

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 15:14 ----------

the name of the wine bar have you ever heard of such a thing in Sheffield any way t was at the bottom of Cambridge street with the albert at the top. but the wine bar was called the barleycorn, barleycorns were used as the standard measure of shoe sizes i'm size 9 don't know how many barleycorns that would be

Edited by cookingfat50
wrong spelling

it wasn't a wie bar when I used to go in the 60s it was then called the barleycorn frequented by ladies of the night and market traders went there at 5.30 after trading lots of fun and banter in there with the odd punch up

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 15:08 ----------

it was on the corner of cambridge street at the bottom and it was called the barleycorn, the one at the top was the albert frequented by students with a hefty ug of cannabis in the air.

going back to the barleycorn there's one fact that most people don't know is that a barleycorn was used to measure shoe sizes I am size 9 but don't know how many barleycorns I would take to get to size nine

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 15:14 ----------

the name of the wine bar have you ever heard of such a thing in Sheffield any way t was at the bottom of Cambridge street with the albert at the top. but the wine bar was called the barleycorn, barleycorns were used as the standard measure of shoe sizes i'm size 9 don't know how many barleycorns that would be

Wasn`t a barleycorn a third of an inch?

Wasn`t a barleycorn a third of an inch?

Barleycorn as in Wheat, it has nothing to do with feet :hihi:

I also never remember the Barleycorn as a wine bar in the 70's either, it was the sort of pub you had to put 50p on table to book a feight. I do remember a wine bar opening in late 70's on Arundel gate, next to the 4 seasons restaurants.

I'm thinking Swiggys.

Thought Swiggy's was opposite Hillsborough Park is it now a Chinese Restaurant ?.

Original wine bars were VAT 1 on West Street & Mr Kites on Devonshire Street

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 21:51 ----------

I also never remember the Barleycorn as a wine bar in the 70's either, it was the sort of pub you had to put 50p on table to book a feight. I do remember a wine bar opening in late 70's on Arundel gate, next to the 4 seasons restaurants.

The Barleycorn together with the adjoining auction rooms on the corner of Wellington Street/ Cambridge Street became Henry'sCafe Bar in the very early 80's and was the first in the chain and together with Hanharans , The Beauchief and Red Lion at Todwick formed the local division of Whitbread Special Operations group., I seemed to remember spending most of the mid 80's there lunch time and evening and more than a few nights sleeping in the upstairs flat

The landlord was the cousin of a pal of mine. He had the biggest Alsatian I ever saw. I think the wine bar was Bumbles, Pete.