Mankers a sheffield word

Sure. And I'm a monkey's uncle. :hihi:

Well don't brag about it too much Rog:hihi:

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 20:59 ----------

By the way Rog, how is PEI nowadays, I was up there a few years ago before they built the bridge, had a motor home, did a tour of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Our last stop was St. Andrews in N.B. and we liked it so much we went there for a few years. We live in Florida, have done for 18 years. Going buy me a boat and come up there in the very near future.

I think I remember that old Ford Cortina Estate *

Well don't brag about it too much Rog:hihi:

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 20:59 ----------

By the way Rog, how is PEI nowadays, I was up there a few years ago before they built the bridge, had a motor home, did a tour of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Our last stop was St. Andrews in N.B. and we liked it so much we went there for a few years. We live in Florida, have done for 18 years. Going buy me a boat and come up there in the very near future.

Great place to live and visit, da link. Excellent beaches, golf courses, theatre, restaurants, and many folk have sail boats so you'd be in your element.

Riding along in my automobile my baby beside me at the wheel.

Old Chuck Berry's song has got me thinking about the car mankers that used to be out and about in old Sheffield Town at one time.

This off course means that certain cars where favourites with hardened mankers and I remember some that old pals have mentioned in passing conversations.

Albert Wild an old pal who was a sixty's manker and frequented the Rising Sun swore by his Jaguar 420 G he always said that the smell of the connolly leathered back seats would instantly melt even the most chaste visitor to the the Jags vast interiors delights.

He always boasted that his old Jag had seen more action than Errol Flynn's yacht and he would still have it today if it would fit on his O.A.P's bungalow drive.

Can you imagine the way I felt she couldn't unfasten her Safety belt old Chuck Berry goes on ,

which brings us to the Mini, I mean how did any one ever manage to get up to any of the old hanky panki in a Mini it must have been impossible even though I know a couple who swear that their twins were concieved in a red Cooper with go faster stripes .

I just can't imagine it.

I stole a kiss at the turn of a mile so the song goes and that brings me to the best mankin car ever !An Austin Allegro with a square steering wheel.

Edited by cuttsie
Manking the city

This thread has made me chuckle. My mum also used to warn me not to stay out manking when I went out with a new boy. My dad always called the Dirty Dancing film, Mucky Manking. I still call it that to this day and in fact so does my 17 year old daughter and all her friends seem to know what it means too!

Edited by stropalottle
error

Riding along in my automobile my baby beside me at the wheel.

Old Chuck Berry's song has got me thinking about the car mankers that used to be out and about in old Sheffield Town at one time.

This off course means that certain cars where favourites with hardened mankers and I remember some that old pals have mentioned in passing conversations.

Albert Wild an old pal who was a sixty's manker and frequented the Rising Sun swore by his Jaguar 420 G he always said that the smell of the connolly leathered back seats would instantly melt even the most chaste visitor to the the Jags vast interiors delights.

He always boasted that his old Jag had seen more action than Errol Flynn's yacht and he would still have it today if it would fit on his O.A.P's bungalow drive.

Can you imagine the way I felt she couldn't unfasten her Safety belt old Chuck Berry

goes on ,

which brings us to the Mini, I mean how did any one ever manage to get up to any of the old hanky panki in a Mini it must have been impossible even though I know a couple who swear that their twins were concieved in a red Cooper with go faster stripes .

I just can't imagine it.

I stole a kiss at the turn of a mile so the song goes and that brings me to the best mankin car ever !An Austin Allegro with a square steering wheel.

You have a natural talent for story telling Cuttsie:hihi:

Mankers a Sheffield word

When I reached the age of 6, I began to take note of girls. I started to fall in love with these lovely creatures, and couldn't get enough of them. There was so much about them that got my pulses leaping, including their ; voices, laughter, shiny hair, freckles, skirts, hair slides, ribbons and bows, and when they performed handstands. I was so glad my parents had flitted from Wood Street to Hackenthorpe [1959]. This really was paradise.

My first experience of this mankin' lark was when I was introduced to it by Elaine Lawson, who was in my class at Birley Spa Junior school. It started with love taps, then went on to the odd peck or two. Then within a week or so we'd advanced to playing doctors and nurses. When Elaine and her family moved to live in the south west [Torquay] I was somewhat broken hearted. I needed a full day to recover, then I searched for a new mankin' partneress.

After,

Julie Webster

Pat Millington

Julie Guy

Julie Wilkinson

Kay Osborne

Kathryn Stevenson

Susan Burgin

Peggy Billard

Jean Sykes...and a few more...

the family Zakes moved home again [1968], to the new Newstead estate at lower Birley. My mankin' escapades continued at Newstead and at my new school Birley County Sec. Mod.

Two and a bit years later, we were on the move again, this time Gleadless Townend. The manking continued, then one day a girl who lived nearby introduced me to advanced mankin'. I was pleasantly shocked by what she did,because I never knew that type of thing existed. I had always thought girls were made of sugar and spice and all things nice,and didn't do naughty things, but she did. If this would have happened four years later, I would have nicknamed her Linda Lovelace.

I had to laugh at post 69 {good number] on this thread by cuttsie, who told the tale about his mate having fun in a coal house with a bird called Kate, or should I say kinky Kate. In the syory cuttsie also mentioned;

1. Jew Lane - A narrow lane on Fitzalan Square, that ran down atween the Bell [Tetley's?] pub and the Sleepshop shop. At the bottom of Jew Lane it turned left and came out on Commercial Street next to the Kings Arms [Higson's]. I often used this lane for mankin' purposes in the early to mid 70's, if a girl had had the good fortune to pick me up in the Penthouse. Lol.

Other favourite mankin' spots were;

2. Backfields - Off bottom of Division Street.

3. Exchange Gateway - On the left near the top of Fargate going down.

4. Black Swan Walk - Next alley down frum Chapel Walk off Fargate.

5. Cadman Lane - Ran from the town hall down to what is now Arundel Gate before the Eggbox and Winter Garden were built. It's directly behind the Graduate [surrey and Fringe][Tetley, then Mansfields] pub opposite the main library. Cadman Lane is now shorter than it was. Much shorter.

Jew Lane and Black Swan Walk are now manky places. The other three are now lit up and have cameras Bleedin' council spoils everybody's fun!

It surprised me all those years ago, that I never had to attend a clinic for the umbrella treatment, or parasol treatment if you're posh.

manking as I ave alway's known a having interest in the opposite sex either by making out or having sex as o be that I have lived in sheffield most of my life and that's the only word I know fr it

---------- Post added 27-08-2014 at 12:11 ----------

manking as I ave alway's known a having interest in the opposite sex either by making out or having sex as o be that I have lived in sheffield most of my life and that's the only word I know fr it

Mankers a Sheffield word

When I reached the age of 6, I began to take note of girls. I started to fall in love with these lovely creatures, and couldn't get enough of them. There was so much about them that got my pulses leaping, including their ; voices, laughter, shiny hair, freckles, skirts, hair slides, ribbons and bows, and when they performed handstands. I was so glad my parents had flitted from Wood Street to Hackenthorpe [1959]. This really was paradise.

My first experience of this mankin' lark was when I was introduced to it by Elaine Lawson, who was in my class at Birley Spa Junior school. It started with love taps, then went on to the odd peck or two. Then within a week or so we'd advanced to playing doctors and nurses. When Elaine and her family moved to live in the south west [Torquay] I was somewhat broken hearted. I needed a full day to recover, then I searched for a new mankin' partneress.

After,

Julie Webster

Pat Millington

Julie Guy

Julie Wilkinson

Kay Osborne

Kathryn Stevenson

Susan Burgin

Peggy Billard

Jean Sykes...and a few more...

the family Zakes moved home again [1968], to the new Newstead estate at lower Birley. My mankin' escapades continued at Newstead and at my new school Birley County Sec. Mod.

Two and a bit years later, we were on the move again, this time Gleadless Townend. The manking continued, then one day a girl who lived nearby introduced me to advanced mankin'. I was pleasantly shocked by what she did,because I never knew that type of thing existed. I had always thought girls were made of sugar and spice and all things nice,and didn't do naughty things, but she did. If this would have happened four years later, I would have nicknamed her Linda Lovelace.

I had to laugh at post 69 {good number] on this thread by cuttsie, who told the tale about his mate having fun in a coal house with a bird called Kate, or should I say kinky Kate. In the syory cuttsie also mentioned;

1. Jew Lane - A narrow lane on Fitzalan Square, that ran down atween the Bell [Tetley's?] pub and the Sleepshop shop. At the bottom of Jew Lane it turned left and came out on Commercial Street next to the Kings Arms [Higson's]. I often used this lane for mankin' purposes in the early to mid 70's, if a girl had had the good fortune to pick me up in the Penthouse. Lol.

Other favourite mankin' spots were;

2. Backfields - Off bottom of Division Street.

3. Exchange Gateway - On the left near the top of Fargate going down.

4. Black Swan Walk - Next alley down frum Chapel Walk off Fargate.

5. Cadman Lane - Ran from the town hall down to what is now Arundel Gate before the Eggbox and Winter Garden were built. It's directly behind the Graduate [surrey and Fringe][Tetley, then Mansfields] pub opposite the main library. Cadman Lane is now shorter than it was. Much shorter.

Jew Lane and Black Swan Walk are now manky places. The other three are now lit up and have cameras Bleedin' council spoils everybody's fun!

It surprised me all those years ago, that I never had to attend a clinic for the umbrella treatment, or parasol treatment if you're posh.

There is more to that coyal house story than meets the eye .

You sod;)

Do folk still mank ,I mean do the old lounge lizards still exist ,the guys and galls who propped up the bars of down Town Sheffield in the 60's, 70's and 80's .

They were easy to spot ,shiny suites ,open neck Hawaiian shirts ,medallions , shiny shoes with buckles in chrome ,over the ear hair with just a spot of grey pepper coming through .

Out side would be parked the ten year old Jag or Granada , vinyl sun roof .chrome stripes and back bench seat in leather that came in handy if the flashing smile and chat up line had worked while buying the latest target a half of Stones or if a really special then it would be a Baby Cham or Pina Colada ..

These little illations often lead to a more long term relationship and some times DIVORCE , then after ten or twenty years the medallion and shiny shoes had been lost in rammell drawer to be replaced by cardigan and trainers ,this new attire now worn in the same bar by the old Lounge Lizard who still has the chat but wonders why it no longer works on the new kids on the block who seem to be no longer into the old manking of yester year and now seem to hop into bed at the drop of a hat .

There was an article in the Star in the mid 1960s: a local vicar was perturbed about the amount of illicit sex going on in the Hackenthorpe Estate. " I believe manking is the local expression", he said. I always wondered how he knew this!