Excruciating upper stomach pain right hand side, what? trapped wind?

For the second time in two months Ive woken in the night with absolutely excruciating pain under my right breast. Sometimes it seemed to be going right across to the other side, sometimes round my ribs to my back. Nothing improved this pain. At first I tried indigestion remedies, over the counter, then prescribed. Then I tried irritable bowel tablets, hot drinks, hot water bottle. Nothing improved it, I couldnt find a position that was comfortable and was walking up and down at 4.30 am! I feel nauseated as well.

The first time I got it we were so alarmed we phoned the emergency doctor. He said it was just trapped wind and would go away and persist with indigestion remedies and hot drinks. It went after several hours. I spoke to my doc after this and he thought it was just part of my irritable bowel and I should take my irritable bowel medicine. I actually didnt believe this because Ive had IBS for 20 odd years and pain has always been in the LOWER part of my abdomen and was of a different quality, like cramps, bowel pain.

It happened again last night and we didnt phone the doctor even though it was severe because I felt a bit stupid after being told it was trapped wind. I just couldnt believe the severity of it. Has anyone else had this?

Yes, and yes it does hurt. Not found a root to the cause yet either

Yellowrose, i am not a doctor but from the symptoms you are describing it sounds like Gallstones. Go see your doctor and get it checked out.

I've had this too. :mad: I got it every month for 6 months! I got told it could be my appendix (Wasn't), Gallstones (Wans't), Constipation (Wasn't). I don't get the pain anymore but I was never able to find out what it was either. The only thing I found to ease it was 2 cocodamol tablets and a neurofen tablet to ease the pain and a heat pad for comfort. :thumbsup:

Yellowrose, i am not a doctor but from the symptoms you are describing it sounds like Gallstones. Go see your doctor and get it checked out.

i agree. these are the same exact symptoms i experienced. i went to the dr who scheduled me a ultrasound and they discovered a massive stone was in my gallbladder. i had the keyhole surgery and ive been fine ever since.

just a quick question though, do you experience these pains after large amounts of drinking or eating really fatty/greasy foods? my worse attacks were whenever i had a pizza for dinner. if its the case and to help minimize the pain, you might want to cut out fatty foods and things with milk or egg in them until you can see a dr.

Yes the pain sounds just like i have been having and i'm waiting for a scan to see if I have a gallbladder problem.

I had my worse attack on thursday night,I had had cheese and onion on toast for dinner and spag bol for tea,think i had a bag of crisp somewhere in between too so not sure what the trigger was there.

I'm going out tonight but don't know what would be the best thing to drink.

I have heard that the attacks of pain come on stronger after eating fatty/heavy foods if gallstone problems

I get this and it is trapped wind, but also the pain causes you to tense up and this contracts the muscles around it to cramp up aswell making the situation worse. I have to literally roll around on the bed to move it through my system which is very embarrasing to say the least.

It does sound like trapped wind pain .. and that can be excruciating ! But if you're uneasy, then don't hesitate, go back to see another Doctor and put your mind at rest.

I'd go back again. I posted a windy pops thread at Christmas in pain feeling like I needed to *ahem* do a really big one. The pain has gone on in monthly cycles and I'm now having tests... You know if your body is reacting in a normal manner or not. Go back.

Make a note of what you are eating to see if a pattern emerges...and DON'T be afraid to go back to the Doctor if it recurs. Fatty and/or spicy food can set your gall bladder off. Appendidcitis although on that side usually starts in the middle and then settles a little lower down from where you mentioned. As well as indigestion remedies try a warm hot water bottle near the painful area...it may give you some relief and will relax you too. The ones you put in the microwave are the best as they sort of mould to your body!! Good luck with it!!

Read my other threads, I am no dr but would say this sounds like gallstones! Just had my gallbladder taken out. It can be a medical emergency but if your bloods are ok A & E will discharge you. Ask your GP to send you for an ultra sound to confirm this. If it isn't this then it may show up what the problem is.

Does the pain spread through to your back or perhaps to your right shoulder?

Next time you have an attack go to A & E they may get you sorted quicker, also check to see if your stools are pale (clay coloured) & if you look yellow especially your eyes go straight to A & E. If you get the chance to read my threads you will understand why I replied to yours. Let me know how you go on. Good luck!