Novels set in Sheffield

apart from the spanish one in another thread. Does anyone know any good books set here that evoke sheffield well?

Well, it's not a novel, but is a sort of autobiography by Fred Pass of life just after the Second World War in Sheffield.

I bought it my wife for Christmas and have started reading it myself. It is quite funny in parts.

It's called: WEERZ ME DAD.

There's a female crime writer whose books are almost all set in Sheffield, though... aaaaagh! I can't remember her name!

I'm sure someone out there knows.

I'll email my dad and ask him if no one comes up with the answer.

And of course, Barry Hines' 'Looks And Smiles' evokes that late 70s, early 80s industrial wasteland thing really well. Though I don't think Sheffield is actually named.

Ken Loach (I think) made a film of it that was made in the city.

Damon,

Please do try to find out the author of the crime novels set in sheffield. I can't think of anything scarier than reading a crime novel set in sheffield! I wonder will hillsborough and walkey feature ?

Originally posted by cathypoos

Damon,

Please do try to find out the author of the crime novels set in sheffield. I can't think of anything scarier than reading a crime novel set in sheffield! I wonder will hillsborough and walkey feature ?

Will do. An email to my dad is being sent any minute now. Please be aware though, the response may not be instant!

How about ...

"2nd from last in the sack race" by David Nobbs (of Reginald Perrin fame). My missus has read it (twice) and says that it's really funny and brings Sheffield folk to life.

Also

"Give us this day" by Stan Barstow (also wrote a kind of loving) which is about Sheffield in the Blitz.

"Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brooks which is not in Sheffield as such but is about the Plague in Eyam.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the crime/thriller writer who sets most of her novels in Sheffield is Danuta Reah. I haven't read any of her stuff, so I won't go on about it. If you're interested, there's plenty of info here:

http://www.danutareah.co.uk/

Would anyone like to read some extracts from my (as yet) unpublished unfinished novel?

It is, up to now, around 65,000 words long.

It's up to you.

It's called 'A Pocketful of Pipedreams' and it's based almost entirely in Sheffield.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Would anyone like to read some extracts from my (as yet) unpublished unfinished novel?

It is, up to now, around 65,000 words long.

It's up to you.

It's called 'A Pocketful of Pipedreams' and it's based almost entirely in Sheffield.

Id like to see it sam

Weerz me Dad is apparently the fastest selling local book ever in sheffield. We sell it at our shop and everyone keeps telling me i have to read it. It is comfortably our best seller!