Darnall memories.

does anyone remember cyrils cafe run by cyril and girt, they had 3 pinball machines and a juke box, when you wanted some change their living quaters was at the back of the cafe, you had to shout any tanners cyril for the pinballs , and they also did food, every now and again cyril would have to repair the pinball machines in front of you, hed wipe all your credit off and give you your money back to start again, also i remember the scouts having a bonfire on mandeville st nearby, a yearlly event was the flower show at the darnall horticultural club, and i can also remember the brown baileys sports event at high hazels park, not many remember seargents the sandwich shop near what is now darnall chip shop, and many cant remember the carousel cafe on darnall, yeomans the pipe and tobacco shop and lomases chip shop ahh memories oh almost forgot , bates wine shop, musgroves, the pie and pea shop run by tommo and his brother, and oris, who could forget oris..

i remember train coaches being transported from cravens, fairgrounds on the dog track car park,the tripe shop near the horty,darwents and stewerts chippy no kibbabs then,2oz of spice from jacksons, i met my girlfriend now my wife at lyric saturday afternoons,trainspotting from acres hill bridge,bought my first record from lakins near the lyric, cheatems ice cream from his bycicle cart,taking pop bottles to maples 2d a bottle.i used to live opposite darnall station and watch the master cutler go past in a ,morning

ive lived in darnall nearly all my life but i think im too young to remember these places but its nice to hear others stories :D

I remember the Carousel Craig and my Uncle Fred owned Lomas's chip shop and his brother Albert owned the tripe shop which sold pie and peas at night.After he died my grandmother Edith kept it going as a pie shop opening a couple of days a week and Friday/Saturday nights.All the characters came in,Ernest Morley aka Darnall Lil,Russian Edna and the Duke of Darnall who would tap his stick on the shop floor.

Iwas born in Darnell, at the bottom of prince of wales road- i can remember (just) sitting in a tin bath in the yard and seeing my dad come out of the pub on the other side of main rd, Seeing hundreds of fishermen get off coaches on a sunday evening after a day on the rivers Trent and Witham, as well as many more teeming down station road with fishing baskets on their backs. Catching tadpoles and sticklebacks in high hazels park pond with a cane and bent pin. Train spotting on the bridge on acres hill road,Going over the boards on langley street to look for empty cartridge cases.My uncle was the manager of the lyric cinama in the fifties , the saterday matenees were a must. and "the little dick" that is now the light /lamp shop - anyone remember what "the little dick "was ?:huh:

I wasn't born in Darnall but grew up on Prince of Wales Road across from the Feathers. I have many fond memories of Darnall - what about the Darnall Parade which saw all the usual characters dress up (and down?). This day was usually a bit of a Lost Weekend for many people! Famous for it's many drinking outlets in such a small place - my Dad always called it "the village" - I think very apt in those days (60s through 90s). In the late 60s/early 70s Tesco opened one of their first stores in the Uk in Darnall, on the POW/Staniforth Rd junction and Freddie from Freddie & The dreamers was due to cut the ribbon but he got p**sed in The Wellington across the road.

Iwas born in Darnell, at the bottom of prince of wales road- i can remember (just) sitting in a tin bath in the yard and seeing my dad come out of the pub on the other side of main rd, Seeing hundreds of fishermen get off coaches on a sunday evening after a day on the rivers Trent and Witham, as well as many more teeming down station road with fishing baskets on their backs. Catching tadpoles and sticklebacks in high hazels park pond with a cane and bent pin. Train spotting on the bridge on acres hill road,Going over the boards on langley street to look for empty cartridge cases.My uncle was the manager of the lyric cinama in the fifties , the saterday matenees were a must. and "the little dick" that is now the light /lamp shop - anyone remember what "the little dick "was ?:huh:

That would have been the Darnall Cinema Must have been the smallest picture house in Sheffield

My Mum was born in Darnall and lived on Jubilee Road as a little girl, so I have a lot of memories of going to visit my Grandma there when I was a kid.

My Grandma's sister lived on Basford Street just a few roads away, which always seemed a lot posher to me back then than Jubilee Road though, and me and my sister used to get into trouble for calling it Bas**d Street!! :hihi: which at the time, we thought was hilarious.

As a teenager, I remember Susan Clarke's hair dressers on the Darnall main road.

Edited by discovery

I used to go to Saturday matinee at the Little Dick,aka Darnall Cinema.I think we were a bit posher than you because we had the tin bath in the kitchen!You must have lived in one of the cottages near Hills Corn Stores or the terrace below the bridge.We lived on Halsall Drive for a few years just the other side of the bridge.

Pie Shop Lad - I remember that I went to school with a girl called Margaret Williams and I seem to recall that she had some connection to the pie shop or small grocery store on Poole Road. Wasn't greasy Alf's on poole rd (he used to spit in the fat to see if it was hot enough for the fish cakes )

Does anyone remember my Mum, Margaret Jones. Went to Phillimore School with John Abdy and would have now been age 69 at the end of this month, if still with us.

Lived on Jubilee Road. She was a great mum and I miss her loads.

Edited by discovery

I used to go to Saturday matinee at the Little Dick,aka Darnall Cinema.I think we were a bit posher than you because we had the tin bath in the kitchen!You must have lived in one of the cottages near Hills Corn Stores or the terrace below the bridge.We lived on Halsall Drive for a few years just the other side of the bridge.

THat was fantastic, Bring back so many memories