LLoyds of London Bans Drinking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38978183

This is almost satire, especially the people complaining about it. Seriously, who thinks it's ok to drink at lunch while you are at work unless you are a wine taster?

Pretty much sums up the culture in investment banking in one article.

P.S. I got it wrong, it's insurance not investment banking. Left original error for continuity on the thread and also for penitence at my own biased assumption!

Edited by sgtkate

I sometimes have a beer if we go to the pub at lunch, as do most of the office workers I see in the pub.

I sometimes have a beer if we go to the pub at lunch, as do most of the office workers I see in the pub.

I'm actually surprised. Unless it was a work do of some kind then I can't think I've ever had a beer at lunch when I'm working. Perhaps it's me who is out of step then...oh look it's 12:15, to the pub! :D

I worked in a place where we always went for a pub lunch on a Friday, most people had a pint (or two if they weren't driving)

Usually had a long meeting in the afternoon, most people fell asleep :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I worked in a place where we always went for a pub lunch on a Friday, most people had a pint (or two if they weren't driving)

Usually had a long meeting in the afternoon, most people fell asleep :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Damn it! I'm working in the wrong place! We used to have pub lunches but no-one drinks...<goes to jobsite>

Pretty much sums up the culture in investment banking in one article.

Some of them get so drunk they confuse insurance with investment banking.

Some of them get so drunk they confuse insurance with investment banking.

And there show's my bias! Ooops. I shall leave the original mistake as penitence.

When I started work (office based) in the mid 70s it was normal to have a drink on Friday lunchtime, and certainly not unusual on some other days. Since around the late 90s, early 2000s it has become much rarer. By the time I finished work, last year, the only time we went out at lunchtime is if someone left. Even then most people were on soft drinks.

I have also been involved on construction sites over the same period. Here the change has been much greater, for which we should be happy. On the last few sites I have worked at there was an absolute ban on alcohol and drugs, including compulsory testing during the initial site safety induction, and then random testing thereafter.

Don't get me wrong, in my current contract I've only been to the pub once with the team, and that was after the end of the day.

In my previous contract there was a weekly lunch invite, and sometimes groups would go on random days at lunch.

I don't generally drink during the week, but nobody would bat an eyelid at someone having two pints at lunch during the week.

I heard something on radio 4 today about this, they were interviewing a former city trader who said that he understands this move because the nature of the city has changed a lot since his time, its much more professional and competitive than it used to be.

Manual workers have been banned from drinking in the day for years, why not office workers too? Most employers (especially those in the city) will be being paid for their lunch breaks, so their employer does have a say on what they do in this time.

Paid for their lunch breaks? Salaried workers are normally contracted to x number of hours/week, these hours don't include lunch or any other breaks.