Most Ironic protest in history

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/01/milo-yiannopoulos-uc-berkeley-event-cancelled

Thousand of students have, in the name of peace, democracy and free speech, used violence and threats to prevent a man they don't agree with from speaking on the grounds that they won't like what he has to say.

These "anti-fascists", have succeeded in silencing the dissenting voice amongst them, and their opponent's alternative point of view will not now be heard.

In another victory for "anti-fascism", this homosexual immigrant has also had his twitter account removed, so that we can all be protected from his words.

I knew I shouldn't have stepped through that looking-glass.

Maybe they've worked out that with white supremacists in the White House it's now actually a war that they can't afford to lose.

Maybe they've worked out that with white supremacists in the White House it's now actually a war that they can't afford to lose.

One can't fight for progressive values by practising fascism. Ironically calling oneself "anti-fascist" whilst doing so doesn't help either.

One can't fight for progressive values by practising fascism. Ironically calling oneself "anti-fascist" whilst doing so doesn't help either.

If Fascism simply meant trying to prevent someone putting an opposing view across you'd be right, but as it is you are wrong. As it happens I'm not convinced Yiannopolous is a Fascist, more likely he is a troll, albeit one who is happy to publish racist lies that his victims have no right of reply against. Since the purpose of trolling is to get a reaction I expect he's quite happy with how it went. And people who like setting fire to things and letting off fireworks got to do those, so everyone's happy.

You can tell simply by the way he talks that he's a clever so and so,full of self importance,another self obsessed narcissist who thinks way too much of himself to be given a platform to spout anything,treat a troll in public the same as you would on a forum.

You can tell simply by the way he talks that he's a clever so and so,another self obsessed narcissist who thinks way too much of himself to be given a platform to spout anything,treat a troll in public the same as you would on a forum.

Do you support the use of violence to prevent him from speaking?

Do you support the use of violence to prevent him from speaking?

Lol,so predictable,so let's not give you the answer that you're hoping for............NO.

Lol,so predictable,so let's not give you the answer that you're hoping for............NO.

Good. I thought you'd say no, but I wanted to check.

So by what means should he be denied "a platform"?

Good. I thought you'd say no, but I wanted to check.

So by what means should he be denied "a platform"?

The same as any other troll is dealt with on a forum,ignore them,or better still,let local authorities,in the same form of mods,listen to what he is saying and then have the power to end the air time he has if he goes too far.

Police have the power to act against hate speech,trolls can cost lives just as much as false news,they are dangerous when given a platform.

The same as any other troll is dealt with on a forum,ignore them,or better still,let local authorities,in the same form of mods,listen to what he is saying and then have the power to end the air time he has if he goes too far.

Police have the power to act against hate speech,trolls can cost lives just as much as false news,they are dangerous when given a platform.

Hate-speech is a catch-all for anything people don't want to hear.

Nobody ever said free speech was without harm. If it means anything, it means the freedom of people we don't like to say things we don't think should be said.

Unless the speaker is directing crime, we need to tolerate them.

We're not talking here about the state funding or supporting the "platform".

Free speech does not exist in the presence of moderators. A forum may place limits on what one can post, but preventing people from literally speaking is a completely different matter.

Hate-speech is a catch-all for anything people don't want to hear.

Nobody ever said free speech was without harm. If it means anything, it means the freedom of people we don't like to say things we don't think should be said.

Unless the speaker is directing crime, we need to tolerate them.

We're not talking here about the state funding or supporting the "platform".

Free speech does not exist in the presence of moderators. A forum may place limits on what one can post, but preventing people from literally speaking is a completely different matter.

Then local authorities can place limits on what people are saying n public,shut them down if they are going too far,like a mod on a forum,it's as simple as that,and if they are spouting hate,arrest and charge them with as many offences as they can.They are speaking,up to a point as to when they overstep the mark,then,cut them off.

Then local authorities can place limits on what people are saying n public,shut them down i they are going too far,like a mod on a forum,it's as simple as that,and if they are spouting hate,arrest and charge them with as many offences as they can.They are speaking,up to a point as to when they overstep the mark,then,cut them off.

Almost anything remotely controversial can be attacked as hate-speech.

Edited by unbeliever