Hole in the road characters - what became of them?

On the photo site ' Flickr' are some very good black and white photos of the long gone ' Hole in the road' showing various people sat in the middle open air part .

The photos I would say we're roughly taken in the 1980s or early 90s the photographer name is not mentioned only a username of ' Karl909' . In one photo shows two chaps sat together posing for the camera in the comments section below some said the guy with the scarf was known as ' Sammy Wednesdayrite' the other chap name is not known.

Another shows two men one chap has a Spanish type hat on playing an harmonica while the other looks on both look oldish. Another photo shows the harmonica man playing an guitar with a couple dancing away.

The next photo shows four men sat together who look well and truly legless with an dog in front. The HIR was noted for been an hang out for drunks so I'm guessing their were regulars

Does anyone recall these people or know what became of them ?

Sammy is still alive and living in Hackenthorpe

Keith Littlewood used to pitch down there with a Monkey and a camera .

He would plonk the monkey on some ones shoulder and take the photo selling the photo to the victim for two and a tanner.

Guest makapaka

My great grandad sat down there all the time. Always had a suit on. Me mam used to take me there to say hello now and again knowing he'd always be sat there.

Keith Littlewood used to pitch down there with a Monkey and a camera .

He would plonk the monkey on some ones shoulder and take the photo selling the photo to the victim for two and a tanner.

that's when he were"nt selling almanacks.

that's when he were"nt selling almanacks.

He had a full team on the old almanacs, Rodney Goodison and Harold Presley helped out now and then.

I remember keith outside the mucky duck, with his new born baby, asking people to wet the babys head. never missed a trick keith...anybody writing a book about his exploits would have a X rated best seller.ha ha.

Subway Cyril He lived and died in the subways and was usually seen in the hole in the road. That would be in the 1970s.

I might be getting Subway Cyril mixed up, but wasn't he a patient at the halfway home Grenoside ( just at the top of the Wheel). Is it the same Cyril who worked as a day patient at Middlewood Hospital ?

I remember keith outside the mucky duck, with his new born baby, asking people to wet the babys head. never missed a trick keith...anybody writing a book about his exploits would have a X rated best seller.ha ha.

Was that his baby or one he'd 'borrowed' for the occasion ?

Was that his baby or one he'd 'borrowed' for the occasion ?

ha ha. knowing keith he may well have borrowed it..:hihi:

I might be getting Subway Cyril mixed up, but wasn't he a patient at the halfway home Grenoside ( just at the top of the Wheel). Is it the same Cyril who worked as a day patient at Middlewood Hospital ?

A little bit about Cyril here that was written by hillsbro.

This would have been Cyril Griffin, a homeless and harmless down-and-out who at one time had been a skilled electrician at Firth Brown's. He had some sort of breakdown after his parents died and spent the rest of his life on the streets. He died, apparently of exposure, one cold night in December 1976 and was found in the BHS doorway; he was 52.