Powell Street 1950's

I was born on Powell Street in 1950, but left as part of the area regeneration in '55/'56. In spite of the years, I can remember the general shop in the middle( we lived across the entry but in the same yard), they had the biggest bulldog called Benny, and a nursing sister called Miller lived next door. I remember long sunny days playing with Derek Digman, and a ginger haired lad called Nicholas who's second name escapes me for the moment. There was a family called Hinchcliffe in our yard, had two brothers. Anyone remember anything about the street which may jog my memory? There was pub at the end on Western St. nicknamed Minsky's and my mother used to tell me tales about fetching my grandad 'gills' of ale in a jug. My grandad's family lived on Summer street, they were called Brookes, four brothers and a daughter Lily, my mother.

my grandmother was brought up on Summer street (before the maisonettes redevelopment of the 50s, obviously)

She and my grandpa brought my father and his brothers up on Fawcett Street, before being clearanced onto the Gleadless Valley in about 56/7

Yeah, we also moved to Gleadless valley in 55/56. Gaunt Close behind the John O' Gaunt. Interested to know your fathers surname, might have knocked around with him on the Valley.

Unfortunately I've only just joined and need a couple more posts b4 I can PM I think. But yes, I knew Ken, and Pauline and Steve Palfreyman. I'll talk to you later by PM.

yamdave, you need to have 5 posts under your belt to PM someone.

I look forward to reminiscing with you.

hi , yamdave I was born at the next pub up from minskys ( actually the original bathfield ) but took its nickname from its polish landlord our pub was at the junction of summer st and weston st the weston park hotel, the shop on powell st was owned by the barnes , brian barnes was my age I was born in 1951. we too were relocated to gleadless valley at ploughwright mount but only for around a year when my father took another pub the don inn on peniston road , we later opened the boomerang on fawcett st,

hi , yamdave I was born at the next pub up from minskys ( actually the original bathfield ) but took its nickname from its polish landlord our pub was at the junction of summer st and weston st the weston park hotel, the shop on powell st was owned by the barnes , brian barnes was my age I was born in 1951. we too were relocated to gleadless valley at ploughwright mount but only for around a year when my father took another pub the don inn on peniston road , we later opened the boomerang on fawcett st,[born 1950 myself so at some stage we must have kicked a ball together. Funny how things turn out but we used to go to the Boomerang in the early 70's every saturday night, then taxi it back to the valley.I remember a particular guy who used to dance on his own, to the turn by hopping up and down, early headbanger I reckon.Think his name was Brian]

I recall being pals with a lad called Pete Woodcock who I think lived on Powell Steet. Does that name ring any bells with anyone?

hi yamdave , I think the guy you mean was graham , lived on edward st flats

if you pm me your name I bet I know you, the other kids I knocked around with were steven thorpe, paul cleaver , george baldwin , the grubbs and the woodwards

hi yamdave , I think the guy you mean was graham , lived on edward st flats

if you pm me your name I bet I know you, the other kids I knocked around with were steven thorpe, paul cleaver , george baldwin , the grubbs and the woodwards

George Baldwin is my uncle! I stil see Jackie (grubb) as she is my auntie lindas (georges sister) best mate. I know my grandma and grandad remember the grubbs and woodwards really well.

Lisa.

I lived on Mushroom Lane opposite the 100 steps until I was 15 (1965.)

We called the shop on Powell Street the 'middle shop' and I remember the Barnes. We had a corner shop just below us on the corner of Powell Street that over the years had its window smashed from cars rolling down the street into it. There was a butchers just below, a shop across from us on the corner of what we called the 'canada' and also a shop above on the corner of Summer Street. I was in a class with Susan Woodcock. We were the Ginnevers, neighbours were Billards, Hully's and Humphries.