Darnall memories.

Can anyone remember "doing the darkie" tunnel in Darnall :huh:-- where did it start and where did it end?:huh: it scared the life out of me!:help::help::help:

Can anyone remember "doing the darkie" tunnel in Darnall :huh:-- where did it start and where did it end?:huh: it scared the life out of me!:help::help::help:

if i can remember rightly it started at the halfway house.and then finished at davys. been in loades of times

Keith-- i was only five years old the first time i did it with my older brother-- boy was i glad to see daylight at the other end!:gag:

Does anyone remember my Mum, Margaret Jones. Went to Phillimore School with John Abdy and would have now been age 69 at the end of this month, if still with us.

Lived on Jubilee Road. She was a great mum and I miss her loads.

I knew margaret very well,we were neighbours, she was the lovliest person you could ever wish to meet.

I knew margaret very well,we were neighbours, she was the lovliest person you could ever wish to meet.

Martin. you mention John Abdy- he didnt work as an apprentice joiner at Davys by any chance after leaving school around 1960 ish? If he did I would like to know as I knew him at Pond street college at that time when I used to go to night school.:huh:

I grew up in Darnall and have lots of happy memories. My mom worked at the little dick cinema so I was there a lot. I worked at Childes chemist, and at the Lyric at night when it was a cinema,It then changed to one of the 1st Bingo halls that was an experience, I put hoops on the numbers on a large board when they were called,much different to the computerized games we are now familiar with.Does anyone else remember this?

Hi Sandora (Sandra?),I too used to work at the lyric when it was a bingo hall. I was a checker. I'm sure I remember you.

Used to live on Darnall main road opposite the corner shop near the fire station. I went to Whitby road school but left when I was about 6. My Nan lived there for a long time after. Went back a few years ago and could believe how it had changed. I was talking to a bloke at a tyre place near where I live. I was talking to him about Staniforth Road where he had to go for training courses. He told me that they had been warned about walking alone in the area which I thought was sad if true. Remember going up to the Lyric pictures on a Saturday morning to watch Hop a Long Cassidy amongst other. Remember once when a man game and did tricks with a YO YO :)

As kids we went to High Hazel's Park to Whitsuntide parade!

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 15:32 ----------

I think I remember that now although it was before the days that I really appreciated the pie culture of Sheffield. In later years I think it became a chippy. What was the name of the mini department store on the corner of Britannia Road. They sold toys in the first unit and household stuff further into the shop. It always smelled of leather and never had any customers. Whenever you went in, you would soon realise you were the only customers in there.

Was it Dobson's???

As kids we went to High Hazel's Park to Whitsuntide parade!

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 15:32 ----------

Was it Dobson's???

Could it have been Hukin's?

On 23/10/2009 at 02:46, Ibn Batotah said:

I wasn't born in Darnall but grew up on Prince of Wales Road across from the Feathers. I have many fond memories of Darnall - what about the Darnall Parade which saw all the usual characters dress up (and down?). This day was usually a bit of a Lost Weekend for many people! Famous for it's many drinking outlets in such a small place - my Dad always called it "the village" - I think very apt in those days (60s through 90s). In the late 60s/early 70s Tesco opened one of their first stores in the Uk in Darnall, on the POW/Staniforth Rd junction and Freddie from Freddie & The dreamers was due to cut the ribbon but he got p**sed in The Wellington across the road.

I. remember going to see Freddie opening Tesco's

On 21/10/2009 at 16:59, PieShopLad said:

I remember the Carousel Craig and my Uncle Fred owned Lomas's chip shop and his brother Albert owned the tripe shop which sold pie and peas at night.After he died my grandmother Edith kept it going as a pie shop opening a couple of days a week and Friday/Saturday nights.All the characters came in,Ernest Morley aka Darnall Lil,Russian Edna and the Duke of Darnall who would tap his stick on the shop floor.

Remember lomases chippie used to put seasoned fish in the fishcakes

On 23/10/2009 at 02:46, Ibn Batotah said:

I wasn't born in Darnall but grew up on Prince of Wales Road across from the Feathers. I have many fond memories of Darnall - what about the Darnall Parade which saw all the usual characters dress up (and down?). This day was usually a bit of a Lost Weekend for many people! Famous for it's many drinking outlets in such a small place - my Dad always called it "the village" - I think very apt in those days (60s through 90s). In the late 60s/early 70s Tesco opened one of their first stores in the Uk in Darnall, on the POW/Staniforth Rd junction and Freddie from Freddie & The dreamers was due to cut the ribbon but he got p**sed in The Wellington across the road.

I. remember going to see Freddie opening Tesco's

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2009 at 21:22, discovery said:

Does anyone remember my Mum, Margaret Jones. Went to Phillimore School with John Abdy and would have now been age 69 at the end of this month, if still with us.

Lived on Jubilee Road. She was a great mum and I miss her loads.

I knew Margaret very well . I used to live on Coleridge rd. and Mrs Jones 's garden  was next to our yard. Margaret used to come down and talk to me and my sisters  on most days . A lovely girl she was , liked  her a lot  .