Taggys Ice Cream ?

For goodness sake - do you remember the recipe? There will be hundreds of people forever in your debt if you do!

I've been trying to make it and I think I've got something very close - It's scrummy!

I remember when we were poor and fatherless in Heeley, circa 1946.

A hot day and my mom found a tanner. Ooh, let's have an ice cream, she said. I went all the way down down Gleadless Rd. and bought one. It started melting and by the time I got home it was all gone.

I still feel guilty about that.

Fast forward to 1972/4.

I'm visiting the old neighborhood with my two kids and happened to spot Ernie in the van.

I took them over and made a fuss, telling them how we used to love Taggy's as a kid, but could never afford it.

He must have fancied himself because he took offense and complained, "I'm not THAT old". He wasn't very nice to my kids.

Whatever. It was great ice cream.

Who could have imagined that now I have a big freezer full, and with my SodaStream, I can make as much Tizer as I like.

taggy's was the best ice cream ever made genuine Cornish ice cream no other taste like it a golden yellow colour but the taste was out of this world. we used to wait on blackstock road on gleadless valley we waited there for ages waiting for the van to come. we could see it turn on to blackstostock and watch it make it's way down it took ages cause of all the grown ups and kid wanting some of the ice cream the best ever pity it's not still around x

Will someone post that recipe!!!!! It was the best ice cream ever, there has never been one to match it.

Cooking Fat.....Thats funny my family remember it as very cold and very white

we lived on newfield green and had it most sundays as no freezer to keep ice cream in so had to rely on the van

Edited by ianparkin

Believe it or not, I've found an ice cream that comes very very close to Taggys!

It's called 'Sweet Cream' and it's sold by a company called "Cold Stone Creamery". Cold Stone Creamery was started in Arizona in the 1980s and it's now going international, with franchise stores in China and Taiwan. They are looking to expand in the UK, so it's possible that an ice cream with a flavour close to that of Taggy's will come back to Sheffield.

I have a big tub of it next to me right now and the nostalgia is palpable.

If anyone is in the US, look up a nearby store (http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/google/stores/store_locator.aspx), grab a bite and confirm for yourself that this stuff is really close to Taggy's.

I'm familar with Cold Store Creamery in the US. My kids love it because the staff in there take scoops of different flavoured ice-cream and mash it up with gummy bears and all sorts of other crap (typical of American diets) then throw it through the air in and catch it in scoops before serving it up.

I don't see much resemblance to Taggy's tbh. But maybe I am missing a whole lot of things?

yes I do remember the ingredients but not the ratios as we use to make bucket loads but I could take an good educated gess, one thing it didn't have in it was water, the other thing was the process we put it through, what makes me laugh is Earnest told me that the recipe was tattooed on Mable's bum his partner at the time as it was a big secret.

If you go onto Heeley Forum, Taggy( Ernest) is mentioned dozens of times.

Taggy was my uncle and I worked the Ice Cream vans and dairy with him as a teenager for a number of years....I even know why he was called Taggy. Hie real name was Ernest Battle and together with his brother John aka Jack and his sister Mabel they developed the business and invariably would only sell their Ice cream at weekends from their 5 vans and shop