Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

Guess what wasn't gritted this morning...

All the cycle lanes, that's what.

And that's just one of the reasons I don't use them.

Are there speed limits on the cycle paths/lanes in Sheffield? I've heard that there can be by-laws especially on shared use paths.

Sheffield Council should publish the byelaw on its website, if their was one. The power assisted bike speed limit is 15.5 mph, (power assisted wheelchairs 4 mph). From the highway code the rules concerning speed are:

62. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary.

68. You MUST NOT ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner

Cyclists, can read signs, look where they are going, act responsibility, just as well as anyone else.

How about society working on the basis that individuals act responsibly, as a first principle?

Sheffield Council should publish the byelaw on its website, if their was one. The power assisted bike speed limit is 15.5 mph, (power assisted wheelchairs 4 mph). From the highway code the rules concerning speed are:

62. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary.

68. You MUST NOT ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner

Just a point of note: The 15.5mph is not a speed limit in the sense of "must not travel faster than". It's the legal limit at which the motor can provide assistance up to. There is nothing in law dictating a speed at which an e-bike can be pedalled without assistance from the motor

Just a point of note: The 15.5mph is not a speed limit in the sense of "must not travel faster than". It's the legal limit at which the motor can provide assistance up to. There is nothing in law dictating a speed at which an e-bike can be pedalled without assistance from the motor

Yes that was established and brought up as it is a law for vehicles that can use cycle lanes. The other points were to clarify the position of bicycles and powered bikes that then can exceed that speed. I think where space is a premium because of the width of some roads, cycle lanes could be put in on the uphill sections with cyclists at 6-15 mph as bicycles can keep with the flow of traffic better going downhill.

Edited by ihpb

if they want to use the road instead of cycle lanes scrap the cycle lanes and all cyclists to have insurance like all other road users and yes i use both a car and bike on the road bike insurance should be made compulsory end of

That's very interesting. What are you hoping to achieve, will these measures achieve it and why is the outcome desirable?

That's very interesting. What are you hoping to achieve, will these measures achieve it and why is the outcome desirable?

They added "end of" so I'm not sure whether they'll come back and answer you as they have obviously won their argument.

WarningCan I warn all cyclists that use the Penistone Road cycle path that there appears to be work taking place on the land that used to be the Hydro Works about 150 meters before the Rutland road junction. the entrance to the site is hidden behind a building as you come out of town and high solid fence on the way into town, the result being that the lorries leaving the site cannot see any approaching cyclists from either direction.

I have just witnessed a lorry exit the site without hesitation and at speed into the slip road, if a cyclist had been passing I dread to think what would have happened, luckily I was about 30 meters short of the entrance. It would appear that the drivers are not aware of the cycle path they are crossing.

Does the Op of this thread really think cyclist's should ditch the road for a "cycle path" to avoid dangerous driver's,, is he for real,

How embarrassing

QUOTE:=scargill: It would appear that the drivers are not aware of the cycle path they are crossing.

It's good that you've let the cyclists on here know about this risk, might also be worth pulling into the place and mentioning it there. If they're made aware of it being a cycle lane, and the visibility issue, they may put an advice sign up for their drivers leaving the site.

QUOTE:=scargill: It would appear that the drivers are not aware of the cycle path they are crossing.

It's good that you've let the cyclists on here know about this risk, might also be worth pulling into the place and mentioning it there. If they're made aware of it being a cycle lane, and the visibility issue, they may put an advice sign up for their drivers leaving the site.

I did look to see if there appeared to be a site foreman to speak to but could only find lorries that appear to be dumping loads of used bricks, neither of the drivers onsite at the time were willing to discuss, the following day the site appeared to be closed. Thanks for the advice.