Wordsworth Tavern

I didn't know they had knocked it down ?

I didn't know they had knocked it down ?

It hasn't been knocked down someone bought it and suppose to be redeveloped into private accommodation!

Does anyone know what is happening with the so called mentioned wordsworth tavern public house.?

It has just had a new fence put up professionally around the entire car park with new double gates/posts?

Wondered if anyone knew anything rather than gossip/rumours?

Would be nice for it to still be a local watering hole for locals and people from afar to meet and chat.

According to Sheffield Planning website the council have approved a change of use to a house.

Went in once around 10+ years ago, it was a crap hole. Of course if it had been done up maybe it would have been OK?

According to Sheffield Planning website the council have approved a change of use to a house.

Went in once around 10+ years ago, it was a crap hole. Of course if it had been done up maybe it would have been OK?

Used to be alright in the 80s and 90s when they had some decent landlords and bar staff (my Mum being one of them) but at some point they changed ownership to someone who didn't bother to try and keep the less savoury locals out of the pub and at the same time things got harder for pubs in general as the supermarkets started selling cheap booze. At lot of the older regulars (including my Dad) abandoned it as it got rougher and went off to the Greyhound or elsewhere.

It's a lot of land for just one house. Wouldn't surprise me if it was demolished and a block of apartments/flats put up there instead.

Too young to be drinking in the 80's and strickly 90's too so don't have memories of what it was like then. It's a shame that it can't be returned to a nice pub but there are plans for a new pub near Asda/Chaucer school so maybe that will be alright when it gets built.

The online plans just show a change of use to one house and that it what has been approved, not a block of flats. You can check the plans yourself. Also the land between the Gleeson development and the Tavern has also been bought by Gleeson to build more houses - that has also been approved by planning too.

strange sort of fence to put around a normal house, does appear to be the sort you'd put round an nhs building like a doctors surgery

i think new owner is opening it as a pub just at weekends whilst the planning permission goes through to build flats

I have it on good authority that it's reopening as a pub.

Passed Parson Cross pub yesterday all boaded up, another dive.