Removing a stud wall query

The house I live in was built in the 80s. Originally it was an open lounge and dining room. The previous owners put a stud wall up to split them into 2 rooms

Do I need to get building regs if I want to remove this wall to put it back to its original config?

The house I live in was built in the 80s. Originally it was an open lounge and dining room. The previous owners put a stud wall up to split them into 2 rooms

Do I need to get building regs if I want to remove this wall to put it back to its original config?

If there is already an RSJ above the stud wall then you could just remove it without notifying building control. Building control need to be notified only if it is a load bearing wall.....

I would also take before and after pictures as when it comes to selling you may get asked for paperwork in regards to the RSJ which you have not installed..

Edited by mafya

If there is already an RSJ above the stud wall then you could just remove it without notifying building control. Building control need to be notified only if it is a load bearing wall.....

I would also take before and after pictures as when it comes to selling you may get asked for paperwork in regards to the RSJ which you have not installed..

Why would there be an R S J in if it was a through lounge originally when property was first built . He said it was only a stud wall that had been put up :loopy::hihi:

It was never a load bearing wall so unless a R S J was put in when property was built

Edited by spider1

Why would there be an R S J in if it was a through lounge originally when property was first built . He said it was only a stud wall that had been put up :loopy::hihi:

It was never a load bearing wall so unless a R S J was put in when property was built

I said if there is an RSJ on the off chance that it has one, what if there is a wall above do you think it's held up by fresh air? :loopy:

You best getting a pro around for. A professional view. Call for a quote

Thanks all for your comments, I've checks and the walls on the first floor are all stud walls. Will drill a test hole in the separating walls and see if that sheds light on it.

Good idea about taking photos for the future

You dont need building regs and the stud wall will not be supporting or take much removing, you might get some caulk or filler remaining on the outer walls and ceiling where removed but these will scrape off, you may need to redecorate afterwards.

You dont need building regs and the stud wall will not be supporting or take much removing, you might get some caulk or filler remaining on the outer walls and ceiling where removed but these will scrape off, you may need to redecorate afterwards.

May also be cables running through the wall, and a gap in the skirting.

May also be cables running through the wall, and a gap in the skirting.

Check for any sockets/switches (unlikely though) if its been built as an addition its probably built over the skirting board.

Check for any sockets/switches (unlikely though) if its been built as an addition its probably built over the skirting board.

Not sure why it's unlikely there would be any electrical services, I wouldn't be relying on the presence or absence of sockets and switches to determine if there were any cables in the wall.

May have been built over the skirting board, I wouldn't, bit rough, but who knows what chancer has been working there....

Not sure why it's unlikely there would be any electrical services, I wouldn't be relying on the presence or absence of sockets and switches to determine if there were any cables in the wall.

May have been built over the skirting board, I wouldn't, bit rough, but who knows what chancer has been working there....

If there are cables it will become obvious once one side of the plasterboards are taken away, unless switching or socket positions have been altered there wouldn't be much of a need to route cables through a dividing wall. If the plasterboard is cut neatly around the existing skirting and the new scribed into it theres no need to remove it, not rough at all.