A better referendum?

Do you think that we should end the free movement of people agreement  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that we should end the free movement of people agreement

What should the EU referendum have said?

Do you think that we should end the free movement of people agreement with the EU and bring total net immigration to below 100,000?

All the other stuff is just consequences.

I always thought that there should have been a referendum, but its unclear what people voted for, and what they will get.

Hull council have just voted for their fluoridation of tap water, an ideal question for a referendum.

Referendums are good, if they ask the right question.

Do you think that we should end the free movement of people agreement with the EU and bring total net immigration to below 100,000?

I always thought that there should have been a referendum, but its unclear what people voted for, and what they will get.

Hull council have just voted for their fluoridation of tap water, an ideal question for a referendum.

The government knew most of the reasons why most people were going to vote the way they voted, an hand full of question would have stopped all the arguments, I know people that voted in but also wanted more control over immigration and our own laws.

In or out

More, less or the same control over immigration.

More, less or the same control over our laws.

More, less or the same control over who we trade with.

It was a half hearted referendum because the government, labour and remainers didn't think they were gonna lose.

They thought that Brexiters were all knuckle dragging racists who wouldnt be bothered to get off their sofas to vote.

But i guess they were very wrong.

Ending the free movement of people while a member of the EU is out of the question though.

Ending the free movement of people while a member of the EU is out of the question though.

I think it will be a very watered down version of free movement of people.

The government will say that it will be restricted to say 100,000 per year to stay in the single market.

Our Government ( both Labour and Tory ) have ignored the public`s views on uncontrolled immigration for the last 20 years . We were seen as racists and bigots for daring to mention immigration. ( remember Prescots vile mouthed rant at that lady who mentioned immigration )

Well, that policy has now come back and bit them on the backside big time ,and now they have to do something to stop uncontrolled immigration .

Im sure the majority of people who voted " Leave" did so because of immigration , i know i did .

No.

I voted out, and argued very forcefully here and elsewhere that we should be out, but I have no interest at all in changing immigration policy.

I suppose that I think, like most things, immigration policy should be determined by national government, but that's about as far as it goes.

Since immigration is on the table, I think it worth mentioning that it's rather implausible to thing we can be part of the EU internal market without free movement. Which is why I've never advocated this.

Edited by unbeliever

We are the most popular destination for EU migration because we are an English speaking country. Makes it easier for those who's second language is English.

But it has to work both ways, there are only 1.2 million Brits across the whole of the EU. So a one in one out policy may work. There is no point having free movement of people if 50,000 romanians (just an example) move to the UK but only 100 brits move to Romania. Its just not viable.

And migrants should have a trade, a job that pays a living wage, spare school places for their children, a spare place with a GP and A home already secured. The most important thing is no access to benefits or social housing.

There have to be limits. Its not unreasonable for UK residents to expect that anyone wanted to live in the UK has something to offer the economy and society.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

It was a half hearted referendum because the government, labour and remainers didn't think they were gonna lose.

They thought that Brexiters were all knuckle dragging racists who wouldnt be bothered to get off their sofas to vote.

But i guess they were very wrong.

I generally think of most leavers as ignorant as they refuse to listen to reasoned arguments based on actual facts rather than angry and nasty propaganda. They continue to claim every foreigner gets free mansions, bathe in asses milk, all the gold they can eat, e.t.c. and its all paid for by the British Taxpayer, Europe is a dictatorship and lots of other lies and imaginary statements.

I sincerely hoped when presented with facts and reason most British people would at least reconsider their position and move forward in a sensible and reasonable manner. Unfortunately they didn't, instead choosing to vote for the sake of spite and blaming foreigners for all the things they don't like instead of accepting that most of the things they really don't like are entirely down to the British Government or their own stupidity, bone idleness and pig headed stubborness.

I generally think of most leavers as ignorant as they refuse to listen to reasoned arguments based on actual facts rather than angry and nasty propaganda. They continue to claim every foreigner gets free mansions, bathe in asses milk, all the gold they can eat, e.t.c. and its all paid for by the British Taxpayer, Europe is a dictatorship and lots of other lies and imaginary statements.

I sincerely hoped when presented with facts and reason most British people would at least reconsider their position and move forward in a sensible and reasonable manner. Unfortunately they didn't, instead choosing to vote for the sake of spite and blaming foreigners for all the things they don't like instead of accepting that most of the things they really don't like are entirely down to the British Government or their own stupidity, bone idleness and pig headed stubborness.

Calling all leavers ignorant is an attitude as to why remain lost.

Remainers believe that they are superior to what they believe are 'The Great Unwashed' of the british electorate.

They just sound bitter and patronising.

We voted to leave the EU, which means we are going to leave the EU and there will no longer be a free movement of people agreement.

There is only an issue about free movement of people, because some remain voters do not want to accept the democratic wishes of the British people who voted to leave the EU.

We voted to leave the EU, which means we are going to leave the EU and there will no longer be a free movement of people agreement.

There is only an issue about free movement of people, because some remain voters do not want to accept the democratic wishes of the British people who voted to leave the EU.

Unless this government agrees to free movement of people, that would very likely mean they don't back into power at the next election. Whatever this government agree to isn't set in stone, the next government can change everything if they win after promising to change everything.