What could be wrong with my car?

There is a lack of power when I press the accelerator. It goes but not as it should. I have to virtually floor the accelerator pedal just to reach 30mph and the engine revs are really high/loud. I trudged up a steep hill in it today and noticed a burning smell when I finally reached the top.

I'm assuming a knackered clutch, but I'm having no problem engaging the gears and its not slipping out of gear etc.

Could be in limp mode any lights on dash engine management light erc

Could be in limp mode any lights on dash engine management light erc

As it happens I'm getting "Check airbag" coming up on the display.

What do you mean by limp mode?

Its an 08 Meganne Scenic btw.

I'm assuming a knackered clutch

Answered you're own question. ;)

Classic case of a slipping and burning clutch.

Answered you're own question. ;)

Thing is, when I Google symptoms of a clutch on its way out, I'm not really experiencing these symptoms other than the smell.

Thing is, when I Google symptoms of a clutch on its way out, I'm not really experiencing these symptoms other than the smell.

Does the car roll OK? ie no brake bind?

Does the car roll OK? ie no brake bind?

Nothing like that is up.

There is a lack of power when I press the accelerator. It goes but not as it should. I have to virtually floor the accelerator pedal just to reach 30mph and the engine revs are really high/loud. I trudged up a steep hill in it today and noticed a burning smell when I finally reached the top.

I'm assuming a knackered clutch, but I'm having no problem engaging the gears and its not slipping out of gear etc.

if the engine is revving but you're not getting any power, the problem lies in the drivetrain. The added symptom of a burning smell under load suggests it may well be the clutch.

Try this:

Handbrake on, engine running, clutch dipped - put it in 5th gear (keep clutch dipped) and reg the engine. Lift the clutch pedal quickly (while still revving) and it should stall the engine. If it slows but doesn't stall then your clutch is slipping.

Handbrake on, engine running, clutch dipped - put it in 5th gear (keep clutch dipped) and reg the engine. Lift the clutch pedal quickly (while still revving) and it should stall the engine. If it slows but doesn't stall then your clutch is slipping.

That will well and truly finish the clutch off :hihi:

Give me a shout and ill check it out for you, im a mobile mechanic and come to you

That will well and truly finish the clutch off :hihi:

No it won't, unless he keeps it running with the clutch pedal raised. He should know immediately if the clutch is slipping, if so then you dip the clutch again and take it out of gear.

How do you think garages usually check for a slipping clutch?